Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:39 AM   #1

This has probably been discussed before, but.....

I wear glasses all the time. Blind as a bat without them. However, I have never had any trouble seeing throught the viewfinder with my glasses on.

I am now due to have my eyes tested again, and this will, as always, result in new glasses.

Now, my question for any who have tried it, is whether to get reactalites again or not. Last time I had them, was about 15 years ago, and I wasn't taking many critical shots. I love the idea of having glasses darken down, as I don't wear sunglasses (can't be bothered to keep swapping), but is it going to affect my picture taking.

I suppose what I need to know, is if I am going to be able to take shots in the sunlight, with the glasses darkened down.

Any thoughts / help greatly appreciated.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:59 AM   #2

I wear transition lenses and don't have a major problem. I do find that (as with sunglasses) what I see through them color-wise isn't quite the same as what the camera sensor sees (without the tint). The only time I've had trouble seeing things through the viewfinder is when I add a polarizer on the lens - then things get difficult with all the light being blocked. The only other thing I notice is that under certain lighting conditions, its harder to see the LCD when reviewing pictures, but that's not a big deal (I'm near-sighted so I just lift the glasses up or peer over the top of them).

I do prefer to shoot outside with contacts on - then I can wear sunglasses and take them off to check color and shoot. But all of the pictures I took in Yellowstone were taken with glasses - I don't bother with contacts much while I'm on vacation.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:07 AM   #3

Cool

Thanks for your help - I think I may go back to these glasses then. I was just a bit concerned that the viewfinder would be too dark with them on.

They are just so much easier than carrying 2 pairs of glasses.

Dal
Old Sep 17, 2008, 11:55 AM   #4

In this country there are polarizing flip-up plastic sunglass that fit over your regular ones. I used these for years, even with photoreactive lenses, as they keep the lenses from darkening too much - just lift them up when you want to take a picture.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:00 PM   #5

i hate the transitions. they just don't change fast enough.. my only experience with them was when i was working and needed them to change faster. i found two pair easiest to carry. the shades spent their time in the car..

just my 2ยข,
roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:10 PM   #6

Just last month I struggled with the same thing. Ended up getting regular glasses. And, am still using my old clipons fro sunglasses from my old pair. Although, I need to fix that as they aren't designed for lenses as thick as my new ones. I had planned on getting prescription sunglasses, but can't afford it now.

I had considered the transitions, but was afraid they wouldn't change quick enough for my likings. Or, if in bright sunlight, they wouldn't change at all.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:54 PM   #7

My glasses are the transition lens ones. I don't have any trouble with them until I go from bright sunlight to a dark interior of a building. They don't change back fast enough. Mine are also variable focus and this gives me more problems than the transition lens as the focus changes throughout the lens and causes some weird focusing when doing it manually. I quite often raise them up to do manual focus but most times in auto focus I just let the green ball tell me it is right.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:16 AM   #8

Looks like I may stick with the clear ones after all.

Easier to add sunglasses later.

I will see on Sunday when I get them tested.

Dal