Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:58 PM   #1
daz

For those that wish to look I have some unedited photos on my flickr http://www.flickr.com/dazt site. Sorry, I am to busy for much else at this time.

DAZ

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:22 PM   #2

Didn't look at them all, but looks like lots of damage. I hadn't really seen much on the news as I was never home when it was on. Just kept hearing on the radio about all that was happening.

Thanks for sharing. Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:30 PM   #3

Wow! I've watched the news off and on about the destruction, but it hits home seeing your pictures. Thought the truck was "parked" in an interesting location - how in the world are they going to shift it?! Thanks for posting them (I gather you are with FEMA?).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 8:47 AM   #4
daz

Yes mhmom there is a lot of damage. I could take a 1000 more photos and they would all be different but the same.

Yes mtngal I work for FEMA in radio comm. Support. At this time I am working at a kind of HQ base on Galveston Island. As for the truck I assume you are talking about the one on the finger (or what use to be) pier. If you look close you will see that the waves moved some of the big concrete beams. Most of the pier was destroyed. About the middle third is just gone. They are going to have to bring in a crane to move that stuff. They are going to have to bring in a lot of cranes to move a lot of stuff.

DAZ
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:12 PM   #5

Yes - that was the truck I was thinking about. It's amazing that it's still where it is, that the pier hadn't collapsed entirely.

Another one of your pictures made me think its too bad the weather is probably hot and humid - you sure have enough wood for a spectacular bonfire. But I guess most of it isn't even good for that - it's probably painted/coated with materials that would createtoxic gasses when burned. It is indeed sad to see so much loss. Its notexactly a beach vacation for any of you working there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:22 PM   #6

Those are some awesome photos Daz,:!:
Looks like you guys have your work cut out for you.
What I find fascinating isn't the amount of damage done but, the damage that wasn't done!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 4:54 AM   #7

we have been getting images of the damage on our news too
to be there must be really difficult
how do you manage to get things done with all that destruction
there was an article about the loss of electric and what will be involved in getting it going again
it seemed from the report it will take months
good luck with getting it cleaned up and and i hope a speedy return to "normal"
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 9:20 AM   #8
daz

This time because it was on an island they, the mayor, was able to do the smart thing and keep most of the people off the island. This did not make her any friends but things are going faster this way. It will slow down next week when they start letting the residents back on. Then the level of garbage will go up as people start gutting there house from all the flood damage.

It is one of those things where many hands make for things go faster. Everyone has just a little piece as no one can see it all. It is fascinating to drive by a road with like a mile of high voltage power lines on the road. The next day you see about 2 dozen power trucks working on it with 6-8 bucket up in the air. The next day it's all up and the trucks are working on something else.

I am just part of the group that works the responses part I should get to go home in a week or 2. Unless some other storm hits before then that is.

DAZ