Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 21, 2008, 1:17 AM   #11

Terrific shots, so sharp. The cats eyes shot is wonderful.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:29 PM   #12

Great shooting, as always Daniel.

Love the Goth model. Not a fan of lip piercing, but it really suits her look/style.

I am still tempted by the K20D. Just enough features to make it better than the K10D, which I have had for over a year now.....

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:54 PM   #13

You just got the K20D and you're already spitting out excellent model photos. Looks like you've adapted to the camera quite well.

On a tangent, were you using PW or some other radio trigger to fire that remote strobe, or the built-in wireless flash?

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:08 PM   #14

Illuminati wrote:
Quote:
You just got the K20D and you're already spitting out excellent model photos. Looks like you've adapted to the camera quite well.

On a tangent, were you using PW or some other radio trigger to fire that remote strobe, or the built-in wireless flash?

- Jason
Dal, Rodney, Jason

Thanks.

The group was using pocket wizard triggering each flash linked with a separate receiver. The system is foolproof triggering flashes of all brands not just Pentax.
I have Sigma 500ST non-wireless flash and AF280T (manual TTL Pentax flash) only. Likely I will not be using the wireless feature. But it is nice to have it as a back-up

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 4:45 AM   #15

Oh more question from this newbie
I had to buy a spare batt currently in Hong Kong. And I got one close to the US price of US$40 (Japanese batt L150). Just a day before leaving Toronto I was to get one from Henry only to turn back on its price tag of CAN$99. Some local HK seller is selling some no brand cell at around US$15 - but some local people cautioned me about its quality.

And also I find some of my liveview shots not as sharp as the regular one.

Kind of rush in typing this in a coffee place in HK

Daniel
Old Oct 7, 2008, 8:28 AM   #16

@Daniel
Thanks for sharing these images!

@mtngal
May I ask, which one? I work on my own sharpening/refocus/detail techniques and there is always the question where to stop, so I am always keen on peoples comments about what is good in terms of sharpness/detail, what is "enough" and what is "too much".

Background to my (unusual) question: For me the downsized forum-ready images here don't look very sharp (in the means of "razor sharp"), but - and that's something I really like - very detailed and quite "well-balanced". (I see a big difference between "sharp" and "detailed": a wide-open lense might not produce very sharp images, but still the lenses differ in how many details are in the shot - at least from my experience) So I am a bit puzzled about your comment, to be honest.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
... and one of your pictures is so sharp it's a little too disconcerting for me.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:58 PM   #17

I wasn't referring to the processing, but rather to the subject and the fact that the picture captured the detail of the piercing more than I like (its quite clear). As I said, I'm not a fan of it. Sorry for not making that clearer - the picture is wonderful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 7:40 AM   #18

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation.

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I wasn't referring to the processing, but rather to the subject and the fact that the picture captured the detail of the piercing more than I like (its quite clear). As I said, I'm not a fan of it. Sorry for not making that clearer - the picture is wonderful.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:27 PM   #19

Congratulations, Daniel. I know how much fun you'll have with that camera. Your cat photos are wonderful, and the model shot is expertly taken, even if the subject is not exactly my favorite. I agree with Harriet's observation about the K20d really showing its stuff with top-end lenses. With the DA*50-135 and the Sigma 70-200 HSM II, I really see the difference with the K20.

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2008, 5:33 AM   #20

Can anyone enlighten me that while using liveview it will not autofocus? There is nothing mentioned in the manual. But I did manual focus ok with liveview on. It is a handy tool for framing - not my forte

Daniel