Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:20 PM   #21

Thanks, JohnG.
Your post is very valuable in 2 aspects:
1. Our (tiny) Pentax forum is still read/monitored by moderators- and not because of forum rules violation I guess;
2. Some distant (or not depending on owning something) unbiased and making a common sense for all photographers remark- something that everyone must think about;
Best and happy shooting, JR
Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:44 PM   #22

I am someone who get tempted by Nikon D90. It is really into the dark forces of marketing and the I treat the added video feature not as a gimmick but a new way of thinking into taking pictures with occasional video similar to the time I have with a P&S in Casio ex-z750 that are guite good in its time around 2005, reps can attest to that as I remember him in Casio forum.

I see the strong point to stay in Pentax is the SR in body. I went the extra mile to Nikon forum and ask the questions if Nikonian enjoy every lens with VR or do they feel handicapped with VR in each lens that they buy. Answers come back varies. Some old timers with Nikon prefer the tripod to help fight the VR dogma, some new comers bought the Dark Forces of Nikon and have VR in every lens that they bought, and some in between

But I have to admit the thinking that the other side has greener pastures is also true. I once hold the D300 and a long zoom for 70-200 with VR and the AF is so fast and quiet that I didnt feel a thing when I took two shots in a zoo. Pentax is not bad in AF but it lacks behind with others. For my use, I find the AF adequate but the lacking give Pentaxians something to complain about. Let's not forget about the goodness with the lens in Pentax and the backward compatibility that Pentax does better than Nikon and perhaps Canon. When I raise those lens compatibility question, the D90 is in the middle road

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html

You are not alone! And I have the 2nd blog post below in a fictional style to fight the dark forces with Yoda training. But I do think about owning two systems to find the truth and boundaries in each one. I even joke about having a new system from Pentax/Nikon/Canon every 2 years and we can have it all if we are strict in buying no more than 5 lens in each system. 15 lens with 1 running body seems doable, I mean I sell the other unused body waiting for the next cycle.

Hin

Quote:
I have to admit that I get tempted by Nikon D90 as my co-worker pre-order the body only copy and I get to see it in weeks to come when he get delivered from Amazon. For body only, I find the price attractive as I am into both 95% pictures and 5% videos. Those capability comes as a good surprise with technology integration. Of course, I rather Pentax to concentrate on AF and the other lackings when compared to other brands.

Blog PostsAnd I am yet to contemplate the idea of going minimalist in acquiring lens in Pentax and think of the possibility of owing two systems to test the dark forces.
hinioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:33 PM   #23

Robert,
If you still have the DA 18-250 that it is actually a Tamron.
Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:52 AM   #24

The 18-250 may very well be but Pentax held them to higher QA standards. I have the Pentax one and a friend has the Tamron one we both see big differences between them. The first one I bought worked great. My friend had to go through three of the Tamron ones to get one that worked right.

I am not saying that Tamron or Sigma don't make good lenses, they do. But, they need to work on QA so that you don't get bad ones as often. That leads to a trust issue for me.

---

Well, I ordered a D90 with kit lens. It turns out my cousin works for a company that buys a lot of Nikon cameras and they allow their employee's to buy them at a company discount. I was able to get the D90 and Kit lens for $999, plus whatever it will cost for him to ship it to me from NY.

I couldn't pass that up and it will let me keep my K20D so that I can do some testing, then decide which setup to keep.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:42 PM   #25

BTW I would like to personally thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and opinions on this without it turning in to a flame war. For some reason camera brands seem to be such a personal thing that people tend to get real up tight when you talk about moving from one brand to another. It is almost like they feel that now they will too.

Whatever camera and camera brand you end up with I have a few pearls of wisdom for everyone...

1. The camera is important, but not more important than the person using it. If you don't think this is true just look at what can be done with a pinhole camera.

2. All cameras take pictures. All cameras today take very good pictures. We have not had a camera in the last 5 or 6 years that have taken really poor pictures. In the early days of digital yes. Today no.

3. Go with what works for you. You have to use it, you have to pay for it.

4. Whatever camera you get. Learn it and love it. Photography is fun, if your not having fun it isn't the camera, the lens, the camera brand or anything else but you. Maybe photography isn't for you. Take pictures and have fun.

5. Even if you never use any mode other than full automatic there are so many things you can learn about pre-seeing shots, creative angles, interesting subjects, etc. that you can still create incredible shots, learn and grow in skill and again have a really good time.

6. Most important of all. Have fun. Don't stress. Enjoy life, its too short to do otherwise.

Again, everyone thanks for the great conversation and view points.

Robert
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:05 PM   #26

Robert,

I appreciate your openness and honesty in bringing up the topic to us in the forum. I find the discussion interesting and engaging. I have a non-brand attitude. If I can afford to have two systems, I say why not. Of course, there are caveats in owning two systems. But I have been thinking in going minimalist approach on lens collection. Say, if I find the anti-dose of LBA and keep the number of critical lens to 5 per brand, I wish I have the luxury in changing system every 2 to 3 years among P/N/C with no particular order. And to pursue that brand-less photography, I would keep the 5 lens in each brand for the next body. And in one's lifetime, we can have it all with P/N/C. And if we find we really hate one particular brand, the lens get recycled quickly.

Just a crazy thought from a weirdo Pentaxian.

For the Nikon Lens, I have saved up two links that seem useful to do the planning:
hinioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:28 PM   #27

My problem is I am not going to carry two cameras around. So I will needed to decide which to keep and which to clear out. Nikon or Pentax, one stays one goes. If I don't use something often I will get rid of it, especially when it is technology based as it drops in value too quickly to spend too much time thinking about.

Robert
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:37 PM   #28

I had a Pentax K10D for a short while about a year ago. Used the Pro DA* 17/55 f/2.8 lens with it. The focussing was the quietest and fastest of any camera I have ever used. I loved the body design, features, and comfort as well as the small size and feeling of ruggedness. Had many outstanding pictures from it. The only reason I sold the combo was lack of consistent metering and high ISO noise levels. I NEVER use flash and shoot often at high ISOs. Of course all newer cameras will get outstanding results with some degree of effort; I needed the ability to shoot quickly without fussing with settings. My Nikon D90 allows me to do that. I wish you well, whichever way you go.
LenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:41 PM   #29

Carrying two lenses really isn't practical unless you use the same system - I do it on occasion and couldn't imagine having to carry around two sets of lenses. You are very lucky to be able to have both systems for a while to see which one you get along with better. I always feel badly for the person who sells a system, thinking another would work better for them, only to discover that the other system doesn't work for them, and then they are really stuck.

Good luck with your choice, and don't let anyone else make the decision for you.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 1:26 AM   #30

kenyee wrote:
Quote:
The 50-500 has too many compromises IMHO. While it does decently well (100% crops have never really impressed me), it can be sharper if you limit it to a range...e.g., like Canon/Nikon's 200-500/4. Pentax is releasing lenses, but doesn't have as large an R&D arm as Canon/Nikon unfortunately...they'll never be able to keep up w/ the #lenses those guys release :-P
Also, I don't think either of them have a non-fisheye 10mm. Nikon's best is the 14-24. Canon's best isn't much better than the Sigma 10-20 in image quality.

For the AF assist, I tried out a friend's D300 recently and it has a reallllly bright white LED next to the lens, so you still get blinded. Canon also uses the popup flash as the AF assist light. Nikon has an AF assist accessory you can buy (no Pentax equivalent unless you slap a flash on) and put in the hotshoe that will shine red light instead. Just so you know...

If you have a need for fast supertele lenses for sports (not sure why you chose Pentax if you wanted that in the first place), I'd agree you should switch to Canon (and also possibly Nikon now), but you'd better have a deep pocketbook for the $3-6K lenses...but at least you can buy them :-)

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
concerned that Pentax seems to have a much more limited view of what lenses they need to offer. One I would love to see is a 50-500 like the sigma. A 10mm that isn't fisheye.
As for the AF, it is low light and I don't like having the flash up and I shouldn't have to risk blinding my subject because Pentax was too cheap to add in a dedicated focus assist lamp.
It is your opinion and far be it for me to tell you you can't say that, but in my opinion the 50-500 has very few if any compromises if given the chance for the photographer to learn it's ins and outs.
Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote