Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:27 PM   #31

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
50-500 has very few if any compromises if given the chance for the photographer to learn it's ins and outs.
Curious what you mean by "ins and outs".
And yes, when I wrote IMHO, it means in *my opinion*. I've never been too impressed w/ 100% crops from it, but have been w/ the Nikon 200-400/4's crops. The 50-500 is great bang for buck though.

kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:40 PM   #32

kenyee wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
50-500 has very few if any compromises if given the chance for the photographer to learn it's ins and outs.
Curious what you mean by "ins and outs".
And yes, when I wrote IMHO, it means in *my opinion*. I've never been too impressed w/ 100% crops from it, but have been w/ the Nikon 200-400/4's crops. The 50-500 is great bang for buck though.

Without a doubt the $5000 200-400 will outperform the $1000 50-500. Everything is relative. Assuming a person had a nikon camera (which would be odd since this is a Pentax forum) the question becomes if the improvement is worth the extra $4000 in cost to that person. TO some it will be, to others it wont.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:43 PM   #33

I know not what I talk about form a technical standpoint. I do not sell multiple brands of cameras, review them or study them in any way.I have to admit if I was earning aliving selling photographs as my major source of income I would go NIKON.

If not, and the Pentax camera equipment has not made you "miss" a revenue shot why switch? save the cash spend it on a great printer,classes in adobe, museum visit to study photographyor traveling to a place which has great shots. The Pentax line may not be as complete, but (for what you get) it is hard to match it the price point's.

If you hold the Nikon and fall in love with the way it fits your hands, if it makes you feel better, what the heckkeep what you bought. If not, cancel your order,save the cash and use it elsewhere.

I should also preface this by saying spending $1000+ reinvestment is a lot of money to me.If you are wealthy the switch is no big deal, whats a couple of thousand on products you love. For me I flat-out would not have the cashto even consider sweat-heart deal soI am biased.
Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 3:46 PM   #34

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
BTW I would like to personally thank everyone for sharing their thoughts and opinions on this without it turning in to a flame war. For some reason camera brands seem to be such a personal thing that people tend to get real up tight when you talk about moving from one brand to another. It is almost like they feel that now they will too.

Whatever camera and camera brand you end up with I have a few pearls of wisdom for everyone...

1. The camera is important, but not more important than the person using it. If you don't think this is true just look at what can be done with a pinhole camera.

2. All cameras take pictures. All cameras today take very good pictures. We have not had a camera in the last 5 or 6 years that have taken really poor pictures. In the early days of digital yes. Today no.

3. Go with what works for you. You have to use it, you have to pay for it.

4. Whatever camera you get. Learn it and love it. Photography is fun, if your not having fun it isn't the camera, the lens, the camera brand or anything else but you. Maybe photography isn't for you. Take pictures and have fun.

5. Even if you never use any mode other than full automatic there are so many things you can learn about pre-seeing shots, creative angles, interesting subjects, etc. that you can still create incredible shots, learn and grow in skill and again have a really good time.

6. Most important of all. Have fun. Don't stress. Enjoy life, its too short to do otherwise.

Again, everyone thanks for the great conversation and view points.

Robert
robert,

this is one of the wisest posts I've ever seen. it should be made a sticky in the 'what camera should I buy' section... no one could disagree with you and it should be common sense, but so many people forget those points too often around here.

congratulations, and let us know how your experience turns out. I happen to be trying to decide between the k20d and the d90 myself (and the oly e520 as well for that matter), and your experience should be useful for anyone.

greetings.
kezs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2008, 1:50 PM   #35

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
My problem is I am not going to carry two cameras around. So I will needed to decide which to keep and which to clear out. Nikon or Pentax, one stays one goes. If I don't use something often I will get rid of it, especially when it is technology based as it drops in value too quickly to spend too much time thinking about.

Robert

^^ please do update us on your decision once you've had time to evaluate both cameras! :roll:
deee_wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:10 AM   #36

Well, I got the Nikon D90. It is a nice camera. I have taken about 200 shots with it and the kit lens (the kit lens is quite nice for a kit lens). I recently sold the Nikon and I am Pentax only now.

While I found the auto-focus to be faster and much more reliable at least part of that has to do with the dedicated focus assist lamp. This is something that Pentax needs to add to their camera. Having to have the flash up to do this with it is just a really cheesy and poor option.

I found the exposure of the Nikon to be... off sometimes. Shots that I had taken with the Pentax and came out perfectly where blown with the Nikon. This is using spot focus and spot meter with both cameras. I was able to recover the blow outs with the Nikon thanks to raw but the Pentax images were still better.

As for image quality and noise I like the Pentax better. Even at high ISO the Pentax was either a bit better to my eye or the same. I like the higher resolution of the K20D over the D90 as well.

The in lens stabilazation was about on par with the in body of the Pentax. No improvement but no worse. This surprised me I expected the in lens to be a bit better. It wasn't.

The handling of the D90 I didn't like as well as the K20D. I thought the feel, size and shape of the Pentax was far better. I also like the button and menu layout better.

As for the LCD screen. I saw little difference between the two cameras. Live view is just a big a joke on the Nikon as it is on the Pentax. Until they get it to work like it does on a point and shoot that is a feature I will never user as a reason to buy a camera. The video on the D90 is also a joke. With no auto focus once you start shooting and the problems with exposure it would not and will not replace a good camcorder of which I already have and use quite a bit (Canon HF-100).

In the end it was an ok camera, but not worth re-investing in the lenses for. I sold it for what I paid for it and will now take the money to get the final lens for my Pentax that I need and that will be a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 macro.

Robert
Robert Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:11 AM   #37

Oh, one more thing. As of this post I will not be looking at other brands in the future. I will only consider switching brands when/if Pentax goes belly up. Pentax isn't perfect but you get a lot of camera for the money.

Robert
Old Oct 21, 2008, 4:55 AM   #38

Thanks for the update, and glad that you didn't find the Ncn a lot better.
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 2:32 PM   #39

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
Oh, one more thing. As of this post I will not be looking at other brands in the future. I will only consider switching brands when/if Pentax goes belly up. Pentax isn't perfect but you get a lot of camera for the money.
Hi Robert,

I made that same decision quite a while ago, but I had already accumulated quite a collection of quality K-Mount glass which made the process easier, as did the IQ and features/performance of the K20.

I'll still pick up and play with the new models from the other mfgs, but I'm pretty much over looking for greener pastures on the other side of the fence. . .

. . . but a faster, more accurate AF system would help get me more keepers . . . so I guess I'm not quite done . . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:05 PM   #40

There are little things that Pentax could improve, but by and large after the Nikon I have to say that Pentax does a damn fine job all in all. I just ordered my final lens for my collection a Sigma 18-55 f2.8 Macro. I wanted a fast macro for macros and low light and at the price I got from Amazon.com it fit the bill well.

If I should have any of the famous Sigma QC issues I will send it in for them to service.

"Greener Pastures. The other side of the fence always has a nicer shade of green, until you get there and realize that what you saw was the shadow cast by the fence!"

Robert