Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:41 PM   #41

Robert Barnett wrote:
Quote:
While I found the auto-focus to be faster and much more reliable at least part of that has to do with the dedicated focus assist lamp. This is something that Pentax needs to add to their camera. Having to have the flash up to do this with it is just a really cheesy and poor option.
FWIW, Canon also uses the popup flash for the AF assist lamp. Doesn't excuse it, but it's not just some weird Pentax decision...it's a weird Canon/Pentax decision :-)

The Nikon AF assist LED also kicks in a lot sooner than the K10D's AF popup flash assist lamp when I played w/ a D700.

kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 5:49 PM   #42

Thanks for the honest evaluation - I really was interested in what you would decide. While I've always been very happy with the K20, as you pointed out, there are some compromises/limitations with it. No one has ever made "THE perfect camera" that's right for everyone. So having a savvysomeone who can honestly evaluate both cameras and reach a conclusion as to which they prefer, is extremely useful.I'd say the same thing regardless of which camera you chose - it's the why you decided what you did that's always interesting. The D90 has had a lot of hype and I was wondering how much of it would be useful in real world conditions.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:05 PM   #43

I'm going through the same decision-making process now. I have a k100d which I like a lot but I don't have much resolution overhead to allow for cropping. Low light performance leaves a bit to be desired too.

I don't have a lot invested in Pentax lenses (kit lens plus a Tamron 70-300 worth about $140) so it wouldn't be a big deal to switch to Nikon. I do like the idea of in-camera anti-shake vs paying for it in every lens if you want it with Nikon. Also like the weatherising features of the k20d.

I might not be considering Nikon at all except for an experience I had in Bangkok in December. I'd misplaced my kit lens (don't ask) and couldn't find it when doing the usual last-minute packing for the trip. This meant I was leaving with only the 70-300 in my kit. No worries I thought, I was interested in something like Sigma 24-135 anyway, I'll just pick one up in Bangkok, and so can do without the kit lens.

Bangkok has a massive shopping center selling all things electronic, a good percentage of which is camera gear. Do you think I could find the Pentax version of the Sigma? Or a lens something like it? NO - tons of stuff for Canon/Nikon, very little Pentax. I ended up having to buy another 18-55 kit lens (the II version, so at least it was an upgrade, however slight).

It made me wonder if the lack of Pentax support was a localized phenomenon, or whether it was indicative of a more general trend. No such worries with Nikon. Robert expressed similar concerns in his original post.

So now I'm looking at an upgrade, K20d prices have come down substantially so I could go that route and save quite a bit of money over buying the D90 + lenses.

PMA is next week... so I guess the thing to do is to wait for Pentax announcements there, then consider whether to wait for the new model (assuming there is one) or go for K20 or D90 now...

Trevor
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:30 PM   #44

Trevor,

As you said, you don't have a lot invested in lenses, so you're open to go whichever way you need. But, I just upgraded from the K100 at Christmas and am loving the K20. There are so many things on it, I don't think I'll ever learn them all. And, I've been quite impressed with the shots I'm getting compared to what I used to get with the K100.

So, not helping you much, but to say I haven't regretted my upgrade decision. I got mine (body only) for $704 at Christmas. I think they're a bit more now even with the newest price drop. But, imho, well worth it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:34 PM   #45

How about D200? It's a step above the D90 in features and the price is coming down. I know this is a Pentax site, but since you're searching, I thought I'd add my two cents.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2009, 5:25 PM   #46

Hello Trevor,

Have you tried out the Nikon D90 (ie. taken pictures and looked at them closely on your computer.)

Before plopping down money on it, take a memory card to your local camera shop and put both cameras through its paces. Trying out the camera in your hands might help you make up your mind. (One way or the other.)

I have the Pentax K100D & had a chance to pick up a Nikon D70s + 18-200 lens for about $500. I got it thinking that I'd love it so much that I'd stop using my Pentax.

I ended up finding the Pentax K100D more suited for the type of shots I was taking. So, I have the Nikon set-up as my point-and-shoot camera and when I have the time to set-up and take a good shot, I pull out the Pentax.

(Actually, at a family get together, I let my seven year old daughter walk around with the Nikon taking pictures, but wouldn't let her touch my Pentax K100D. That kinda tells you how I value each camera. <grin>)

Yes. I did find the Nikon to be faster, but not necessarily hands-down better.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2009, 9:38 PM   #47

OK PMA is over and nothing much new (in DLSRs at least) from any of the major manufacturers.

Glen, I like the idea of hanging on to the K100 since its resale value is not very high. I haven't seen let alone handled a D90 yet so your suggestion is a good one. (read a lot of reviews though!)

One thing is that tilts me toward the Nikon is the 18-105 kit lens. This seems like about the perfect range for me, while retaining pretty good quality (again, according to the reviews) for a decent price. I don't ever want to have to carry more than 2 lenses, so this coupled with a longer zoom would be just about all I'd need. And most of the time wouldn't need the long lens. I can't find anything similar for Pentax, and the only thing I can find that's remotely close (Pentax DA 17-70) is $450.

So if I want a wide angle-zoom setup for the K20d that will more-or-less match the D90 kit, it will cost me $1120 ($670 body and $450 lens), vs around $1020 for the D90 kit (Broadway Photo pricing). On top of that of course I'd have to get a long lens for the Nikon, which I already have for the Pentax, but which I've never been particularly impressed with...

Seems like I'm leaning toward the Nikon doesn't it?

Trevor
Old Mar 5, 2009, 11:45 PM   #48

Trevor - before you buy anything from Broadway Photo (or depend on their prices), check out http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo .
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:48 AM   #49

Yeah thanks Mtngal - It occurred to me after I posted that Broadway Photo pricing might not be a good example. Was just looking for comparison pricing from the same site, Broadway was the first to come up.

What about BH Photo then? Pentax setup would cost me $1200 ($80 more) and Nikon kit would be $1160 ($140 more than Broadway). So price difference is negligible. That doesn't help me! ;-)

Of course the Nikon has video, but I've seen some great video samples and some awful ones produced by the D90, so while it would be a bonus to have a video option, it's not a reason to buy.

Trevor
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:55 AM   #50

Trevor,

The reality is for non action work you would probably never know the difference between photos from either camera. If you're shooting sports/wildlife the better AF system in the Nikon will prove itself out. But or all other types I think the differences are going to be too small to worrry about. So, I think the decision comes down to lenses and whether or not the lens offerings for the Nikon system are going to temp you away. If you see the lenses you want for Pentax, I don't see a reason.

John
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote