Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 23, 2008, 7:40 PM   #1

Greetings,

I am in the process of trimming my gears from PentaxForums and I want to gather inputs for logical choices of trimming.

I have three similar lens and I like them all and I am trying to decide to cut 1 to 2 out of the three
  • Pentax DA 50-200 f/4.0-5.6[/*]
  • Penatx K 45-125 f/4.0
    • http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/...est-shots.html
      [/*]
    • This is a rare find for K mount lens. I can roughly get back $120 to $150 for the lens[/*]
    • It has the best color among the three but it is very heavy like a DA* 50-135 and I call it the poor man's choice of DA* zoom[/*]
    • It has one touch zoom design with fast focusing and zooming ability[/*]
    • The lens is front heavy and zoom ring tends to fall towards the front

[/*]
    [/*]
  • Kiron 70-150 f/3.8
    • http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/...est-shots.html
      [/*]
    • I probably get back $40 to $80, I plan to add a 2x TC
      [/*]
    • It is well built and the cutest among the three for its small size. All metal build and it is a great bargain from Kiron.
      [/*]
    • It is very sharp, the sharpness is better than DA 50-200 but I can't tell if it is in par with K 45-125. In terms of color and contrast, the two Pentax does better.

[/*]
    [/*]
  • My camera gear for reference[/*]
Your inputs can help me to firm up my mind.
hinioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2008, 9:00 PM   #2

Hin..I'd probably get rid of the Kiron.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:52 AM   #3

I'd get rid of the one you use the least, regardless of the money involved, or the characteristics of the lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:36 PM   #4

hinioman wrote:
Quote:
  • Pentax DA 50-200 f/4.0-5.6[/*]
    • I use this most often[/*]

To me this says exactly which one you should keep.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:01 PM   #5

Thank you all for talking the most senses to me.

I am planning to trim the Kiron 70-150 f/3.8. That is quite a metal lens well constructed by Kiron and it shines in the sharpness. Not in the color though as it has a tendency to go blue in the picture for some reason.

And for the rest of the two, I will push myself into using the K 45-125 for more outings and see if I can cope with having only one. The K 45-125 is a rare lens but it become useless if I leave it as gear collecting item.

LBA has strike me into 4th similar lens with a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 from Tokina as the version 2. Most people sought afre the version 3 but I look for version 1 and 2 for the cheaper cost. I already tried version 1, it is great in terms of color and contrast, very sharp wide open but I can't stand the weight at 879g and subsequently sold it. I am waiting for delivery of the version #2 from Tokina that weighs 710g today.

http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/...rom-kiron.html

With the Vivitar series 1 70-210 f/3.5 from Tokina, it is a balancing act to find out what I like the most among the four lens. What an headache I get myself into.... Yes, I know that I can get the DA* 50-135 and be done with the buying. The four lens cost me less than half of the DA* zoom. The problem is more psychological that I can't get myself to act on expensive gear. I end up buying all the cheaper gear which all seemingly do a good job and I have a more difficult time to let go.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:57 PM   #6

hinioman wrote:
Quote:
I use this most often

Hi there,

I am with ishino here, although I understand your love for the other lenses. As for the Pentax 45-125... ask yourself the question, if there was asituation, where you absolutely need(ed) that lens to take a good picture or if the DA 50-200 would have done equally well. Color reproduction is a good point, bokeh and overall IQ too, granted. But a lense for one shooting a year?

I wouldn't give away my K 135/2.5 for a reason, but thats just me an my low light preference, so if the 45-125 would have something like f/2.8-3.5 or better I would keep it, with the current speccs it's really worth to ask yourself the question if you really need it.

my 2 cents
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2008, 7:00 PM   #7

I have owned all three of these over the past 20 years. Keep the 50-200 Hands down. During the 80's & 90's I owned 19 Pentax lenses-bought most of them used through KEH. Only one I regret selling - a SMC-A 50mm 2.8 macro which was a gem. Only you can determine the personal worth of each lens. Good luck
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:41 PM   #8

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
I have owned all three of these over the past 20 years. Keep the 50-200 Hands down. During the 80's & 90's I owned 19 Pentax lenses-bought most of them used through KEH. Only one I regret selling - a SMC-A 50mm 2.8 macro which was a gem. Only you can determine the personal worth of each lens. Good luck
Thanks for the reminder about the Pentax A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro.

A side question to you and others, if I save enough to get the DA 35mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro limited, would the 35mm do a better job than the 50mm. I already have Pentax FA 50 f/1.4, which I love dearly as my Sushi Lens and Pizza lens and in my planning, I plan to add either the DA 35mm f/2.8 as a normal walkaround prime with good macro capability for those close up shots. I am trying hard not to have duplicate lens with similar characteristics. Would you advice if the DA 35mm can safely replace the A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro? Or you see them as two very different lens worth keeping. I find the A 50mm f/2.8 1:2 Macro very sharp and it has quite a strong point in its bokeh and it works well in manual focusing with almost a full turn for those fine tuning in focus precision. It is one of those charming lens that I may regret letting go.

It is a balancing act not to rush into selling but I want to have the minimalist approach to lens. If one lens can replace 70% in the functionality of an existing lens and does better in some other aspects, I will let the exiisting gear to go to someone's else home. When I buy the DA 35, my A 50mm f/2.8 may need to go.

Thanks,
Hin

Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:47 PM   #9

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I have decided to take some time not to rush into trimming any lens. I would take time to take 1 to 2 weekend per lens to have a good workout. I have learned about my lessons:

What I have learned:
  • Think twice about buying lens of similar focal range. Ask yourself if the new one is a replacement or something that you expect better in the newer gear.
    [/*]
  • Follow up with testing to find the winner and trim the loser[/*]
  • Have an exit plan if new lens don't match up with expectations.
    [/*]
  • Have another exit plan if you like both just as much -- toss the coin, ask others for ideas or sleep on it.
    [/*]
  • Access risk of in-decision in trimming[/*]
  • Don't rush into selling, take the time to rate each lens with use and do comparison for my own liking[/*]
  • For the least used gear, it is time to take it out and test it out again as a brand new gear. It is like a new gear old stock to be debuted with pictures[/*]
And I just received my Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 made by Tokina. I have my hands full with 4 lens instead of 3. What have I done! Hopefully, I would have fun testing each lens to finer detail and cut 4 into 2 at a minimal. Ideally, I want to get down to 1 of the 4. My DA 50-200 has the win at the moment as it is not the best out of the 4 but I like it personally as my best value zoom for walkaround.

Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:35 PM   #10

Here is a picture of the four lens that I need to pick 2-3 to go. And I just get a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5, the version #2 from Tokina among the three versions that Mark Robert recommended. the lens is a beauty to hold and it will complicate the decision a bit more if not less.

[align=center]
[/align][align=center]Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f/3.5 (tokina), Pentax K 45-125 f/4.0, Kiron 70-150 f/3.8, Pentax DA 50-200 f/4.0-5.6

[/align]I will hopefully keep an open mind and test each one of them and see if at least I can trim 4 down to 2. My goal is fill the gap from 50 to 200 with ease of use, great color and sharp photos especially for my boys. And I like to have a lighter gear for street photos that I can count on with a long focal range.

And the first candidate to see if I can trim first is on the Kiron 70-150 f/3.8. It is very cute and relatively small, I find it the best for sharpness and street shooting. I like it better for street shooting than the DA 50-200 in terms of sharpness. Very compact too

[align=center]
Kiron 70-150 f/3.8, Pentax DA 50-200 f/4.0-5.6

[/align][align=left]And I wrote up this blog post to track my decision into the triming. Thank you all for the comments, suggestions and inputs

[/align][align=center]http://techtheman.blogspot.com/2008/...25-50-200.html
[/align]