Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:45 PM   #11

Harriet, Brown Pelicans have been endangered ever since the local populations suffered repeated total collapse of the breeding colonies due to the large amounts of DDT that were discharged through the White Point sewage outlet on the Palos Verde Peninsula by a local chemical plant. Cormorants were also affected, but they bred elsewhere up the California coast as well. The colonies have recovered as the DDT settled into the sea bottom, but every time there is a severe winter storm it gets stirred up again (DDT has a long half-life in the environment, and its concentration is magnified as it passed up the food chain) Bald Eagles and Ospreys disappeared as breeding birds (as did Peregrine Falcons) and are only now beginning to be able to breed successfully locally. It was difficult to convince people who didn't visit the colonies of the problem, because of the large numbers of juveninle pelecans from Mexico that move northward in the summer. The problems with the eagles and Peregrines were more widespread due to the increased pesticide concentration as it passed up the food chain to these top carnivores, and therefore is better known.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 9:47 PM   #12

Pentolta, I like a good serving of education with my photographs and , as always, you serve up a healthy portion of both. Great picks and great information, thanks for sharing both.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 4:19 PM   #13

Thank you for the education, Penolta. Such a sad situation. I don't remember seeing pelicans on the beaches when I grew up in California (1957-1982). Although, visits since to Monterey or Morro Bay have seen some. Had not realized they were endangered. I sure hope the reward for the "poachers" turns up something. How can anyone be so cruel!

I really like photo #4.Nice and sharp and the water is so clear.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 5:00 PM   #14

penolta wrote:
Quote:
penolta

Great images particularly the 2nd in flight shot with quite a bit of motion on the wing tip. Job well done. I do not recall I saw brown pelican in Toronto area. But given the limited area that I have covered that is hardly surprising

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:17 PM   #15

Thank you Tim and Patty, and you are welcomed. It is not pleasant to report, but it is what it is.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 7:26 PM   #16

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
Great images particularly the 2nd in flight shot with quite a bit of motion on the wing tip. Job well done. I do not recall I saw brown pelican in Toronto area. But given the limited area that I have covered that is hardly surprising

Daniel
Thank you Daniel. The Brown Pelican is a coastal bird, most commonly found around the coasts of the US and Mexico, so it is unlikely to be seen around Toronto. It is the state bird of Louisiana, from which it had disappeared entirely during the height of the pesticide problem, but was subsequently reintroduced.