Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:44 AM   #1

Hello,

Does anyone know how to get the Pentax K100D to trigger a flash (through it's hot shoe) on a shutter speed faster than 1/180sec, especially in manual exposure mode?

ALSO

Can any one tell me if the Pentax K10D or Pentax K200D trigger an external flash via. the hot shoe at shutter speeds faster than 1/180sec?

I hooked up my new Vivitar 285HV to the hot shoe of my flash, set the shutter speed manually to 1/250sec and 1/500sec and fired the shutter, but the flash didn't go off.

I was reading somewhere that sometimes you can trick cameras into fast sync with manually flashes because some lower end D-SLRs really only have their fastest shutter speed at 1/500sec and anything above that is simulated digitally by cutting off the CCD sensor early.

I was hoping to play around with this, but alas, my K100D will have none of this.

Has anyone tried this out?

Has anyone got this to work on a Pentax D-SLR?

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:40 PM   #2

I think you need two things....

1. A pentax dedicated flash (PPTL)
2. A flash capable of High Speed Sync

I have not gotten any flash to work faster than 1/180 sec using a flash that is either non dedicated or non-High Speed Sync.

Hope this helps

Feroz
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:52 PM   #3

1) buy a Pentax dedicated flash and use HSS mode
2) no...mechanically limited to 1/180. Get a Nikon D70 if you want to play with higher speeds...

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone know how to get the Pentax K100D to trigger a flash (through it's hot shoe) on a shutter speed faster than 1/180sec, especially in manual exposure mode?
Can any one tell me if the Pentax K10D or Pentax K200D trigger an external flash via. the hot shoe at shutter speeds faster than 1/180sec?
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:49 PM   #4

Hello,

Yeah. I could buy a Pentax Flash, but they are so expensive. I was hoping to stay cheap on the flash so that I could afford to buy a cheap remote trigger (which I ordered one, I'm just waiting for it to come) and eventually get an umbrella, bracket and light stand to play around with off camera flash.

I'm happy with my flash (Vivitar 285HV) and the manually control you can have over it, quickly and easily.

Here is my test to see if I could freeze water motion.

But this is done in a black room with my K100D on B mode & the flash fired manually, set to manual at 1/16th power.

Since I was happy with the flash unit, I wanted to see what was possible with the K100D as far as using this stopping power in a little more illuminated situations.

I guess I was hoping someone had found a way to re-enable the flash trigger in manual mode at speeds above 1/180sec just to play around with this.

To me, it sounds like a way that Pentax managed to "force" people who want this ability to have to buy their flash.

I guess I'll just have to put this type of play on the back burner until I've gone through trying to learn how to use off-camera flash and learn more about lighting in general.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote