Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:50 PM   #1

After my initial success with panning, I haven't managed to take much. I tried some stop motion, and ended up with ones that I liked for other reasons.

First - she's all by herself, left out of the group:
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:51 PM   #2

I thought of the pictures of the senior Olympics when I happened to spot this fellow playing tennis at lunch recently. He just looks so comfortable concentrating on the ball:

Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:54 PM   #3

Last one - it's in the "if only" category. I sure wish I had used a faster shutter speed - I shot this one at 1/250 and it was either too slow to stop the action, or else too slow not to show camera shake (all these pictures were taken with the A*300). It would be a neat picture if it didn't have quite as much motion in it.

P.S. I'm not going to change my challenge entry yet.
Attached Images

Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:12 PM   #4

Harriet, now those are great shots with color and sharpness that make me want a K20D for myself.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 3:43 PM   #5

very good

wish it thatsunny over here lol, weathers been terrible since i got my camera lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 4:19 PM   #6

#2 is simply a fantastic shot. The colors and lighting are tremendous, and the subject was interesting.

I like the facial expression in #3, but to stop a tennis serve coming directly at you is going to take an incredibly fast shutter speed. Just after leaving the racket, a serve by even a mediocre male player is going to be 70mph or up. On #2 you didn't quite get the ball frozen, even at 1/1000. The best freeze shots I've gotten on serves have been from the side (a much easier shot) and I've seldom gotten a freeze though I routinely shoot tennis at ISO 400 or higher to try for shutter speeds in the 1/2000 range.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 5:46 PM   #7

Our weather almost always looks like this - it can be very boring. A little warmer one day, a little cooler the next. Everything is so dry and there's no rain in sight yet, but at least it's been reasonably cool - not fire weather. If this area can get out of October without a major fire, we will have done well this "autumn".

I was so disappointed when I looked at the third one and realized what I had done. I was going to just delete it, but the timing and expression were just too good to not share, and show others how to NOT do it. I wouldn't mind having some movement indicated in the ball when trying to catch a serve like this, if I would have just gotten the person frozen. Itturned out to be harder than I had expected toget someone serving right at you - this fellow really leaned over into the ball andonanother shot I missedhim altogether. I'll have to hope I can find players up there next week, and try 1/2000 (I ended up at the Botanical Garden and was trying to take pictures of milkweed blowing in the wind. Don't think I was very successful with them, either).
Old Sep 26, 2008, 6:18 PM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Last one - it's in the "if only" category.* I sure wish I had used a faster shutter speed - I shot this one at 1/250 and it was either too slow to stop the action, or else too slow not to show camera shake (all these pictures were taken with the A*300).* It would be a neat picture if it didn't have quite as much motion in it.
Hi Harriet,

I've been doing some concentrated work lately with Focus Magic. If you're not familiar with it, it's a standalone program with a plugin for PS compatible editors that uses "deconvolution" algorithms to sharpen images, but also can correct some motion blur problems. I've been using this as my default sharpener for quite some time, but have recently begun to get a handle on the motion blur feature.

The problem with this example, if I get your meaning, is that everything looks a bit shakey, some areas more than others. I think that your holding technique was fine, it looks to me like subject motion as pretty much the main cause. I see double edges on his right shoulder, the little part of his collar that's visible on the left, and to a lesser degree, on his head. The other parts that are blurry are pretty smoothly so, and add that "sense of motion".

I took the liberty to do some selective motion blur correction on the areas mentioned. This works better on full size images of course. . . I selected each of the mentioned areas, applied motion correction to each of these areas separately, with different amounts at different angles as needed, then cut the effect to 50%. I then used a softening brush on some of them.

Here's the result -- the differences are subtle, but I think they make a significant difference -- especially the head, which was the easiest to correct. The result shows a sharp head -- the rest of the shot shows motion. IMO this is an improvement. Whaddya think?

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 7:08 PM   #9

Nice work Harriet,

I know how you feel, I've had quite a few of those "if only" shots. :angry:

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2008, 7:10 PM   #10

Scott, that's a neat program, I can see quite a bit of improvement!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote