Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 27, 2008, 6:31 AM   #11

glen,
now all you need is the off camera wires to get the flash off camera. when you do get the longest cable you can get. i keep my 10' cord bundled with a wire twistie..
the setup is probably the best $$ i've spent..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 8:34 AM   #12

Kazuya - Thanks for pointing out thedust. It turned out to be dust on the back element of my lens. Also, thanks for noticing the shadow in the foreground. I never even thought about the shadow when taking this shot, but when I got home and looked at the shot I thought the same thing - then I thought to myself, the only way to use this as an effect is to have a strong flash. <grin>

JohnG - Yes. I am absolutely kicking myself for not getting an external flash sooner. I just think about the thousands of shots I took over the past couple of years and how I could have got more light on them.

RE: mtngal - Yes. Pentax is not the only P-TTL flash on the market. Anyone looking at an external flash, get to know the different options and decide what's important to you and buy what is in your budget.

RE:Goldwinger brings up a good point. Maybe consider buying a flash beyond your expected usage so that you still have access toextra capabilities and features so you can play around with them.

RE: Robar. Yes. I can't wait until I get this flash off my camera and start playing around with it that way. I ended up ordering a really cheap wireless trigger ($20), but they just trigger. No TTL capbility whatsoever. I don't know how reliable they will be, but I'll let everyone know when I've received them and had a chance to play with them.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2008, 9:00 AM   #13

Out playing with my K100D last night to see what my Vivitar 285HV could do. I took this reference shot (iso 3200, f3.5, shutter speed 1/125sec. focal length 18mm) no flash, just using the flood lights. My buddy and I were trying to guestimate how far the field was away and figured it was probably 200-250ft to the middle? (I was sitting in the 2nd roll of benchs just behind my wife.)

When the race started, I starting shooting with my Pentax K100D and Vivitar 285HV flash to see what I could get at approx. 250ft out? (Scene lit by floods lights and my 285HV)

ISO 3200, Shutter 1/125sec, F5.6, 133mm and my Vivitar 285HV set to manual (full blast.)

I was pleasantly impressed with this set-up. This is beyond what I would normally do. I was just being silly and trying to see what the maximum my set-up could do.

[NOTE: I notice that the people have good detail, but the cars are hazy. Just thinking about it now, there was a lot of dust flying around the field. They actually watered down the field between races to keep the dust down. Does anyone know whether getting the flash off the camera would help in this situation?, if in fact the cars are hazy because of the dust in the air.]

This is a reference shot with no flash.

About 150-200ft out. Politician lit by a spot light.

I did not use a flash.

Pentax K100D set to ISO 3200, F6.7, Shutter 1/15sec. Focal Length 200mm.

Ok, here is another politician, but this time I used my flash at about 150-200ft out.

Pentax K100D.

ISO 3200, Shutter 1/15sec, F6.7, focal length 200mm Vivitar 285HV flash set to manual (full blast).

NOTE: Now you can see I'm using the flash, not only because the people not in the spot light are lit, but you can see the telltale sign of the reflection from the fireman's reflectors on his jacket.

Here is a detail of the previous picture just to show what detail ended up getting recorded in people's faces.

Now I was just playing around seeing how far I could get with the flash.

As I told my wife, I'm just playing around!

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote