Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 30, 2008, 2:07 PM   #11

Hello,

That is too cool! I love it!

I can see from the series of shots, you totally got it.

Although the 1st image is dark, I can see it is strongly lit by the sun by the highlights on the legs of the table.

By the final shot, you've got your flash sending out the proper amount of light for the f-stop you are using and the sun is just kinda there.

Now that you have a set-up that can overpower the sun, the question is what are you doing with it?

Sure, you can turn day into night (like the picture in the Strobist article that you refered to.) but you can also do some really subtle things like not letting the sun dictate to you how you compose your picture.

If a child is playing on a jungle gym coming down a slide and you want to capture it, but the sun is causing a very distracting side light, turn down the sun and turn it into a soft fill light (ie. faster shutter not so big aperture - and it doesn't have to be so dramatic. Maybe have the sun just 1-2 stops less than your flash?) and then use your high-speed flash as the key/main light instead. Get the shot you want no matter what the sun is doing.

For me. I want to master my understanding of this because then I'll have more tricks up my sleeve. In the end, it'll be completely up to me whether I want to use that trick or not, but at least I will be better (I hope) of getting the proper exposure.

Do you have more photos of using high-speed sync like this?

Since I don't have a high-speed sync flash I can't play around with this, and I am craving pictures of this technique to decide whether I get my wife really mad at me for plopping down some more cash on my set-up. <grin>

Take care, yours truly,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 4:32 PM   #12

Well, I don't really have much use for it as of now. After seeing that Strobist thread I got really jealous... why can't I do that! So I started playing around to see if I could. Mind you it was 1am and I was in the basement and it didn't seem to work. Then I came across this thread.

This morning when I tried it again, this time with the k200, the first few test shots where done in the kitchen and it was the same result as the ones done in the basement, every setting was the same, except for 1/4000 was just a little bit darker. So then I turned to the backyard (enter the patio table) and it worked. I'm guessing there was to much for the flash to bounce off of inside creating a brighter picture, but in theory it still should have worked (without the flash at 1/4000 inside the frame was black). But again, the pentax/sigma combo isn't true high speed sync like the nikon. The flash fires a bunch of small flashing hoping to overlap the shutter speed, this is also probably why the shots inside are will lit (all that flash power plus the bouncing).

I just found it interesting that the flash will fire on camera at 1/4000 of a second... that's pretty cool! So if you are looking for a reason to get a new flash, I say go for it!
fisheye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 5:25 PM   #13

I hear you.

I guess for me, I wonder what would have happened if I would have been able to take this picture . . .

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=80

at a faster shutter speed.

I had exposed for the sky & then used my flash full blast to try to get some detail of the people in the shade of the carousel. But since I'm stuck at 1/125sec (or 1/180sec) I'm limited to how much power I can make my flash seem to have.

I'm wondering if I had more flash power, whether I could have made the shadows seem less dark and make the "artificial" effect of this shot even more pronounced.

Make it look like how I would have drawn or painted it. With hyper detail in the shadows vs. something replicating realism.

Take care,
Glen

Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:39 PM   #14

Are you going for more of an HDR type shot? That would probably come close to the effect you are looking for (maybe).

If I"m going for an into the sun type shot, I meter for the background, set the flash to TTL mode and presto. Since I'm not quite sure what type of shot you are after, I'm not much help.

All the best with your pursuit though! That's the best part.

Old Sep 30, 2008, 6:46 PM   #15

I just checked out the Dave Hill website, cool shots but the effect is heavily done in the PP.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:04 PM   #16

Actually <grin>

I saw the Dave Hill website and I had taken this carousel picture and it reminded me of a jigsaw puzzle I did of this painting . . .

http://www.howardbloom.net/reinventi...046%5B1%5D.jpg

So I tried to fuse it all together, while trying to pump up the colours in the image which is one of the things I worked on while taking the picture in the first place.

Take care,
Glen

Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:29 PM   #17

Hey fisheye,

With your experiment in the basement . . . what aperture did you have the camera?

Cheers!

Glen

Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:51 AM   #18

I used a few, from 3.5 to 9 I think. All of which produced the same result.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:40 AM   #19

What shutter speed did you use at f 9?

Take care,

Glen

Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:48 AM   #20

f 9 seems like a large aperture for a flash unit. Did you get any detail in the flash pictures in your basement or were they are burned out?

Take care,

Glen