Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:18 PM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Very nice, I really like the second one. How do you manage to get them to hold still enough to take a picture? I can't manage to get that close to the ones I've tried to photograph.
Thank you Harriet,
They are quite plentiful here around the lakes. they seem to be a bit territorial. I watch and as one seems to become focused on one particular plant, I'll focus on that spot and stay as still as possible until it comes back. they'll usually lite and remain for several seconds, sometimes much longer before they flit away and then return again. as they get use to me I just keep getting closer. I got to within about 5 feet here but couldn't get any closer without stepping into the lake!
:lol:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:34 PM   #12

penolta wrote:
Quote:
That combo makes a pretty good macro outfit. Well done!
Yes sir, it worked out better than I thought it might. this converter will adjust from 1:20 all the way up to a 1:1 magnification. the only problem is with the 50mm lens it wouldn't let me focus much higher than about 1:10 at 5ft. the closer I get the more it will let me magnify. strange, I thought it would be the other way around.:-? I'm anxious to see what I can do with my 200mm f:4:-)
GW:bye:

Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:53 AM   #13

Very , fantastic first try.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:11 AM   #14

I love them all, but the 1st one is such a nice perspective and the 3rd one really draws you in to look at the fine detail!
Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 5:58 PM   #15

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
I love them all, but the 1st one is such a nice perspective and the 3rd one really draws you in to look at the fine detail!
Take care,
Glen
Thank you Rodney, I appreciate it!

Hey Glen,
I like the first one too. Only, I wish it had been sharper. I have a hard time with camera shake, or maybe I should say, I have a bad body shake problem!
:G
Old Oct 3, 2008, 8:37 PM   #16

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
I watch and as one seems to become focused on one particular plant, I'll focus on that spot and stay as still as possible until it comes back. they'll usually lite and remain for several seconds, sometimes much longer before they flit away and then return again. as they get use to me I just keep getting closer. I got to within about 5 feet here but couldn't get any closer without stepping into the lake! :lol:
Hey GW, nice dragon shots, #4 would be my pick, very sharp and detailed, but the others are not far behind either. You describe my methods for macro above, I think it is a lot like hunting. Observe your targets behavior and try to anticipate it and be focused where you need to be. I think this combo works better than your zoom lens with the teleconverter.

I think your dragon is a saddlebags dragonfly but I can't tell you which type for sure.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/3820/tree

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:28 PM   #17

Thank you Tim,
I believe you are correct on the species - works for me!
:G