Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 28, 2008, 9:51 PM   #1

I really enjoyed reading Penolta's information about the brown pelican. This morning my husband suggested having clam chowder for lunch - his way of suggesting a day trip to the Splash Cafe in Pismo Beach.

Today there were two pelicans perched on the pier, so I took some time to check them out. They aren't the easiest bird to photograph when you are only about 15 feet from them, and it was very grey (marine layer was hanging all along the coast). I was also surprised at how different the immature one was compared to the adult.

Not symmetrical:

The adult:

Now compare that with the immature. At first I wondered if this was some other variety of pelican, but it's not.

As you can see, this kid was hanging out hoping for an easy meal:

It wasn't the greatest day for taking pictures - especially not for surfers!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:11 PM   #2

You really had them dead to rights. The tour guides in Florida always used to say that you could tell the resident pelicans from the tourist ones (meaning migrants) because the visitors fish for a living while the locals sit around waiting for handouts! They have that condescending appearance of looking down their long noses at you, don't they? Under those lighting conditions and at such close range a little fill light from your built-in flash would have helped and put a catch light in their eyes (you don't have to worry about eye-shine with most birds).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2008, 10:14 PM   #3

I never thought of using the flash - of course, that would have been the perfect solution. I'll have to remember that for next time (and there will be a next time).
Old Sep 29, 2008, 7:49 PM   #4

Those are pretty darn good shots Harriet!
although... I never realized pelican's used a fishing pole to catch fish. somehow I thought they just dived for them.
:-?
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2008, 11:29 PM   #5

Thanks, GW. I really missed the best shot when I was changing lenses. The pelican had edged over to the fishing pole and actually tried to steal it - it grabbed the pole in its beak. The person watching the pole sort-of yelled at the bird and tried to shoo it away some, and it reluctantly shuffled a few feet away. They are not scared of humans, though the adults seem to have a comfort zone, and will warn people off if they get too close. Some kids thought this was quite interesting, though they were also smart enough to heed the warning.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 1:31 AM   #6

Not symmetrical: Symmetry is in the eye of the beholder, I think No 1 is wonderfully symmetrical and No 4 is just gorgeous, what detail, simply fantastic shots.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:58 AM   #7

These are amazing! I too like #1, how you worked in the fence as part of the environment. The texture in the old paint really adds another nice detail to the shot.
Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote