Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Sep 30, 2008, 8:30 PM   #1

Hey gang,
I was out in the shop today and decided to make a clamp with a swivel head on it that I can take with me when I don't want to haul my heavy tripod around. This will accommodate a perch of 3/8" to 2" made of light weight aircraft aluminum and all it cost me was $9 for the ball head and about $ 9000.00 worth of time and labor!
The possibilities with this are endless… can be used to mount lights too!

GW :bye:

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2008, 9:56 PM   #2

Looks like it would be a useful addition, definitely servicable for a camera with a light lens - that head doesn't look like it would support a heavy lens. On the other hand, if you are going to drag around a heavy lens, you'll likely have a tripod.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 5:00 AM   #3

OMG!!!!
another DIYer.......... ( i've known it forever) no prob!!
looks very nice

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:43 AM   #4

Complete with swivel head. Now that is cool!

Take care,

Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 11:58 AM   #5

that is pretty cool! would definitely come in handy for those long exposure night shots.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:40 PM   #6

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Looks like it would be a useful addition, definitely servicable for a camera with a light lens - that head doesn't look like it would support a heavy lens. On the other hand, if you are going to drag around a heavy lens, you'll likely have a tripod.
I'm sure you're correct Harriet, it's a pretty cheap swivel head. I haven't tried it with anything over my 135mm. I also have a Giottos 1001 series ball head that will work on it.
although I want to give a real world tryout just to see how stable the clamp itself is first.
I'm also going to make a shoe mount attachment for it so I can use it for my 540 flash when I want it off camera.
thank you for your input.:-)
GW:bye:

Old Oct 1, 2008, 12:46 PM   #7

robar wrote:
Quote:
OMG!!!!
another DIYer.......... ( i've known it forever) no prob!!
looks very nice

roy
well... looks like you have me all figured out Roy!
not only a DIYer, I'm a cheap S.O.B. too

hey Glen, hey Ishmo,
thanks for looking and commenting guys, I appreciate it!
GW:bye:
Old Oct 1, 2008, 3:47 PM   #8

GW, you're my kind of man. Cool clamp, wish I had the shop equipped for this kind of stuff. Inspirational, thanks for posting.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 6:59 PM   #9

Hi GW,

Looks good! Very nicely designed and executed.

The only things I'd do to improve it are get it powder coated for a durable finish and get a ball head with a Quick Release to make it faster and easier to attach the camera (do you screw the camera on the clamp, then have to support the weight while tightening the clamp, or do you tighten the clamp, then screw the camera on it. . .).

You can buy, for example, a Manfrotto RC2 QR clamp with a camera plate for a just over $25:

http://www.adorama.com/BG3299.html

I realize that this would mess up the parts to time and labor ratio, but. . .:-)

I've pretty much gone to Arca Swiss type clamps and plates for their added security with the big glass, but I still have and use RC2 heads/plates if I anticipate needing to attach the camera very quickly.

I sometimes wish that I had the skill and capability to make things like this. . . but then I'd probably spend too much time making custom stuff, and too little time shooting. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:06 PM   #10

Thanks Kjell and Scott,
I never knew at the time I got this milling machine and lathe that I'd end up making the things I have lately. Its good therapy when I get frustrated with other stuff, I can get lost in my shop work. I could have bought something like this for a lot less than what I'd have to charge someone to make them one. :shock:

I have plans to make some changes and will more than likely come up with some more as go along. I started out making a clamp for lighting and then thought how nice it would be to have one for the camera. Once I get if sorted out in my head just how I'll do it, I'm going to mount my Giottos 1001 ball head to it. It's rated at 17.6 lbs. and has the quick release.
BTW Scott, the powder coating is a great idea but, did you happen to notice the above post where it mentions my tendency to be a cheap s.o.b? I think I have a spray can of flat black around here somewhere… :G
Thanks again for your input guys, I appreciate it!
GW :bye: