Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:07 AM   #11

It is too bad that no-one does this anymore but Kodak once built a DSLR (Nikon based I believe) that had an actual b&w sensor. Why is that a big deal you ask? If we take away the bayer matrix (groups of four pixels with a red, a blue and two green filters)the result is that each individual pixel now has equal importance and there is no interpolation of colour information. The result is a far greater level of detail for the image size.

See http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...dak-760m.shtml

and note that the negatives were not about the image quality.

Back to the original questions, I do find that my Pentax cameras do a very pleasing black and white conversion, however software has come along to make computer conversions simpler (no more channel mixer adjustments) Picasa has a nice "filtered black and white" converter and PhotoShop Elements 6 (I have finally upgrades from the original version) also makes it easier to work with tones and colour filtering).

I like black and white but it is nice that the camera keeps the original colour image just in case.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:24 AM   #12

Here is one using a green digital filter to make the red Mini in the background look darker:

Ira
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:27 AM   #13

Here is the same shot using a red digital filter.
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:28 AM   #14

Oops, here is the colour image for reference purposes:
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:42 AM   #15

Here is a more direct comparison
Attached Images

Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:31 AM   #16

Ira, thanks for reminding me of how I used filters when I was doing B&W color darkroom work. Very nice, and useful even with digital.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:25 PM   #17

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:
I use desaturate and theĀ* OptickVerve Virtual Photography program plus filters by Nik Color Efex Pro. Some times they are very easy to do and only photoshop is needed.
[/color]
I don't have much occasion to do B&W, even though I shot it primarily with film in the old days, mainly because of cost.

When I do want B/W, I use the same plugins as Dawg. Virtual Photographer has a bunch of presets for both color and monochrome effects that can be tweaked with other effects that can simulate the look and feel of different types of film, and NIK CEP has an easy and effective B/W conversion plugin that can be adjusted somewhat for quick and dirty conversions. I've seen other plugins that have more adjustability and color filter simulations. If you plan on doing a lot of B/W work, I'd look into these more closely and find one that fits.

My tendency is to think that software solutions are better than using actual color filters on the lens since all but the best quality filters would tend to degrade the image (as just about any filter will) and in some cases, cause some exposure issues that I'd rather not have to deal with.

Also, don't forget that you can get added emphasis to color differences in PP by oversaturating any part of the spectrum while the image is still in color before applying the B/W conversion, so you can have more control over this aspect, even with the least sophisticated conversion tools.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:56 PM   #18

This is great. This will take me months to digest. But, this is great.

I'm going to start playing around with this.

Take pictures. Keep my eye on light vs. dark. Keeping in the back of my mind that I can highlight different colours by simulating using filters. And then I want to play around with the different programs. (I think I might start with Picassa. I've used that a couple of times and if it gets something I'm happy with, I'll start with that!)

Bigdawg - I love those pictures. I'd be ecstatic if I had images like that of my daughters.

Mtngal - You got me thinking. I'm itching to get out there and try my hand at this!

Monza76 - I appreciate your pictures. Especially the montage. Gets you thinking about how you can use colour to accentuate shape or depth? I still have to get my mind around that.

This is too cool! You guys & gals are the greatest!

Take care,
Glen

P.S. I went to my camera club meeting last night & I'm trying to digest that session right now as well. My head hurts! <grin>

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 5:51 PM   #19

I like to play around with Opanda Filter 1.0.

http://www.opanda.com/en/pf/index.html
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:10 PM   #20

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
I like to play around with Opanda Filter 1.0.

http://www.opanda.com/en/pf/index.html
A very good one Tom. Lets you use a simulation of different brands and color graduations. I have used Opanda's free filters for years now.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote