Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 4, 2008, 9:41 AM   #11

NonEntity1 wrote:
Quote:
I have the Sigma EF 500 DG Super, which I believe is the predecessor to the EF 530 DG Super. Thus far I have not complaints. I *think* it supports high speed sync but I have not tried. Thus far my specimen has worked through the K100d, K10d, and K20d without needing rechipped. My main use is blasting enough additional light on a sunny day to make f/16 a possibility for macro.

I have a lot to learn about using flash, so my input is probably not worth much. The best I can tell you is that it seems reasonably well put together and has always worked for me, at least until the batteries die.

Tim
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the input, all noted especially re. the build quality. Like you I don't claim to be a flash expert, and also my main use is with a macro rig.

bb2 confirms it does have the high speed sync facility (many thanks for that bb2). Problem at the moment is finding a UK source for the Sigma, so I can compare prices,

so far I'm not having much luck with that, there are some indications that Jessops stock it, but haven't found a Pentax model on their website, and they're never the

cheapest source anyway. The search goes on ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 1:11 PM   #12

Hi Jack

Google is your friend..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB

Price comparison

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...1&ct=title

Bristol cameras has it for £165

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 1:25 PM   #13

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jack

Google is your friend..

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...UK%7CcountryGB

Price comparison

http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=...1&ct=title

Bristol cameras has it for £165

Dal
Hi Dal,

Since that last post I found some prices ( had seemed very elusive previously), I think the super is out of my budget, but the Sigma 530DG ST is worth considering, it's

about same spec as the Pentax 360, and the Metz 48 AF-1 with a higher guide # of 53, and I've found a source cheaper than the other two, so that may be the way to

go. Thanks for chipping in with info. ... Jack

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/flash/530st.htm

Old Oct 4, 2008, 3:39 PM   #14

To be honest, Jack, I considered the ST, but bought the super in the end, as the ST doesn't do high speed, doesn't swivel, and has no display for changing ouput/functions.

I decided it was false economy to buy the cheaper one as I knew I would always miss the extra functions, so I waited a couple of months and bought the super.

Just my thoughts on it.

Dal

Old Oct 4, 2008, 4:15 PM   #15

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
To be honest, Jack, I considered the ST, but bought the super in the end, as the ST doesn't do high speed, doesn't swivel, and has no display for changing ouput/functions.

Dal
ST does swivel. It does not do high speed higher than 180/s. It shows limited display though. And it is a lot more powerful than 360. It is as powerful as the Super model.
I do regret somewhat that I did get the ST for lack of wireless feature.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:28 AM   #16

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:

I decided it was false economy to buy the cheaper one as I knew I would always miss the extra functions, so I waited a couple of months and bought the super.

Just my thoughts on it.

Dal

OK Dal,

Your thoughts are welcome, and there's no rush this end, I'm just looking at the options. ... There's nothing cast in stone yet. If I find more readies maybethe Super.

Thanks to Daniel for his input, and as he says the ST does swivel, and there is limited display, glad you mentioned the lack of wireless function Daniel ... I hadn't noticed.

I did think it had the hi-speed function, obviously I'm wrong ... comes from reading too many specs I guess. Thanks everyone for the excellent information. ... Jack
Old Oct 5, 2008, 4:44 AM   #17

I would definitely recommend the Super in view of the wireless function.

cheers

bb2
beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 6:46 AM   #18

I know what you mean about budgets, Jack. However, I think you will only be unhappy with the limitations of the ST

Wait a little while and get the Super as you will be able to grow into it.

Dal

Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:31 AM   #19

bb2 & Dal,

Yeah !, points taken. ...The specappears much nearer if not equal to the Pentax 540, I'll keep shopping around, there could be some good offers about nearer Xmas.

... Jack
Old Nov 16, 2008, 5:51 AM   #20

Hi All,

The outcome of my quest for a flashgun resulted in my buying the Metz 48 AF-1, there have been some recent expenses that
made a hole in my ready cash, also the festive season is looming, and I can foresee more outgoings, so I settled for the
Metz as it was available at a good price … 39% saving quoted at my source, and I quite liked the idea of updateable firmware. It did seem to have the desirable functions. ( see spec below )

After DMJRs comments re. problems with his model, and interpreting the manual. I downloaded a .pdf manual for the 48 AF-1 and after reading through it several times, I didn't see any
real problems in using this model, and this has largely proved to be the case.

As always much manual reading + lots of hands on experimentwas necessary. I quickly learned that it's no use playing with the flash alone … it needs to be mounted on the camera, and both need to be switched on, else you get nowhere.
The first hiccup was that I couldn't get the display to show P-TTL mode until I found it only appeared after I took half pressure on the shutter release.( the manual doesn't show this)
Second problem was that initially I was having to apply a fairly high + EV compensation to get a correct exposure and a good histogram, this had me guessing for a while, eventually I looked
at flash settings in camera, and found the onboard flash was set at -2.0 EV ( sometimes I use onboard for macro with certain lenses, and need to reduce flash level). After setting this to 0
the Metz behaved perfectly. I imagine this is something to watch with all flash units.

I think I've mastered the basic use of the flash, which will satisfy most of my needs. Having watched the Pentax flash tutorials, I feel that this unit is much simpler to use.
I can't post any pics, all I've done so far is experiment, just shooting anything at random. Bottom line is I'm happy with it, and think I made a good buy. ...Jack.

Attached Images