Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 4, 2008, 5:38 AM   #1

We had a nice day for lighting here with lots of clouds and the sun peeking through. I took this shot with my DL and the Sigma 100-300.Then I did a bunch of post processing on it. The first is the original and the second is more what I actually saw with the naked eye, including not noticing the poles and wires. Amazing what your brain can do. Would like any and all comments. Then feel free to do some work on it yourselves or show us something you've done on one of your own shots!

And finally, in honor of Glen's thread on B&W here it is with an orange digital filter.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2008, 9:38 AM   #2

Nice, you should try one with a green filter to see if you could pull some detail out of the trees.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 4:05 PM   #3

I'd say something inbetween #1 and #2, the second one looks a tad oversaturated but taking out the poles and wires was a good move. The colours is what makes the image, IMO it's a pity to waste that with a BW conversion.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 9:04 PM   #4

I've shown this before but since you asked here it is again. One of my more successful attempts at post processing.

Here is what I did. First the photo was taken outside very late in the afternoon just after sundown with a K10D and a 18-55mm kit lens. This was at my Grandson's birthday party and I was snap shooting all over the place. My Granddaughter came up and said "Papa look at my monster eyes." then she gave this strange look . I took the photo and on review started to delete it. At the last second I decided to keep it and look at it further on the computer. Glad I did. One of those once in a blue moon good shots you are lucky to get and recognize!

Here is the heavily under exposed original the way the camera saw it.

I then used DCE Tools Auto Enhance Plugin to adjust the levels contrast and color. A one touch process with this free software

Then I sharpened by going to Image, Modes and Lab color. Then I selected Lightness in the channels menu and used Unsharp Mask to sharpen the photo a little. Then I went back to RGB color in the modes menu. Then I selected the Dodge tool and lightened the eyes using a very low setting and blending it in.

Then I went to the Image menu and Desaturated the photo changing it to B&W. Then I went to the filter menu and selected the Portrait Skin Cleaner from the DCE tools menu. This cleaned and softened the skin.

Then I used a Vignette Blur tool from Nik Efex Color Pro. And there is the photo...It probably took me two tries to get it and a total of ten minutes. My Daughter wants to have a copy made at 16X20 for Regans memory book so she will have it after she has grown up. I will do that soon.

Any more questions feel free to ask...Oh yeah No special sharpening for the eyes...Mainly just the dodge tool to emphasize them more.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2008, 10:31 PM   #5

I like the second one, it's very dramatic. While I normally avoid the extra saturation, I think it fits in with this scene quite well.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 3:28 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments, especially about the saturation. When I was playing with the picture without the original to compare it with, the saturation didn't seem all that much. However when it is next to the original it does seem overdone. Actually, I didn't use the saturation tool, just darkened it some.
Dawg, no need to make excuses about showing that shot again!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:19 AM   #7

Glenn,

I couldn't resist your invitation, and had a go. first attempted to reduce the haze with Unsharp mask ... I've selectively tried to get more light into the background trees, not

too successfully. Did the same in the foreground, that worked better + the fiddly job of cloning out the cables and poles, finally adjusted the contrast in LAB colour, no

sharpening, I tried it, but no matter how little I applied it looked overdone, so I scrubbed that step. I'm not sure that I've made any improvement. This was a quick

effort, feelI could do better with more time. ... Jack
Attached Images

jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 2:01 PM   #8

Maybe this is what you would like to see?

Attached Images

Old Oct 5, 2008, 7:20 PM   #9

Another overprocessed effort
Attached Images

penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2008, 9:20 PM   #10

Or maybe this with less saturation.
Attached Images