Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 7, 2008, 7:20 AM   #11

Congrats on getting your new camera. I'm very sure you will enjoy it.

I bought a K100D and liked it a lot.

I gave it to my daughter and bought a K10D. Liked a lot of the features but didn't like it as well as the K100D.

Sold the K10D and bought a K20D. Now, I feel like I have the best of both the K100D and K10D combined into one camera.

Pentax will really have to outdo themselves to put forth a better offering.

Of course, the K20D with 5.5 - 8 fps andgreat low light AF might just be a better offering. Even though, neither of those things are a deal maker/breaker for me.

ciao`

Ed

EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 10:18 AM   #12

I have been considering upgrading bodies when the K3XX are announced in 2009 (if Pentax stays true to form). I am thinking that the K20 becomes the K300 and what ever new features are pored into the K30. So that is sort of a plan.

I was a bit disappointed with Pentax not announcing a re-badged Tokina 11-16 f2.8, but then the Tokina 80-400 has been available for a quite sometime, with out Pentax offering that either (which would help with their telephoto end). With that wait over, I just ordered Saturday morning, the DA 12-24 that I have been eying for ever. Hopefully, it will arrive tomorrow. A couple of months ago I picked up the DA 55-300.

I think that should round my lens out between 10mm to 300 mm on the K100 body. The K20D appears to be everything I could just about ask for, but I can wait till the new bodies are announced to see what would be the most approperiate - K30, K300 or the K20, along with what ever is the smallest and lightest. I figure I can't go too wrong.

Next - my 22 cent (ebay - $10 shipping) travel tripod should probably be upgraded so that I will not have to stoop over so much, when I use it.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 12:00 PM   #13

Dal,

Good for you. Enjoy the new camera and let us enjoy the posts to follow.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 9:21 PM   #14

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
a200user wrote:
Quote:
I will have towait until the effects of the Bail Out trickles down to me. I should have about 20 cents to put towards the K200BillionD.

Jim

LOL, Jim if you wait for it to trickle down to you... you never will get one!
:G
GW:bye:
Yeah, just like Retirement.
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:16 AM   #15

congrats, hope you enjoy it as much as I
rhermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 3:34 PM   #16

Congrats too a good investment (better than bank shares). You'll have a lot of fun with this new device, but don't get rid of the old one if you like that one too.

I just got my DS back after an eternity at the Pentax repair shop (nine weeks!), and even though the K20D plays in a totally different league I'll never let go of the DS, it's just too darn good. And it has TTL flash metering. Do you hear me Ned, IT'S GOT TTL FLASH METERING.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 5:02 PM   #17

i to would like to get one, but my wife already suspects something:P, as i keep checking the price on amazon.com and keep complaining that i should get one

i wonder if i can order it, get some one who does not know my wife to bring it down for me, slip it into my camera bag, without her knowing and plus read the manual when she is not around !!! HMMM

please enjoy yours

heard to many good things about the K20D, and i cant wait to try out my 50-135 on it

i suffer fromCBA, LBA, BBA

Dave

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 6:47 PM   #18

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
i to would like to get one, but my wife already suspects something:P, as i keep checking the price on amazon.com and keep complaining that i should get one

i wonder if i can order it, get some one who does not know my wife to bring it down for me, slip it into my camera bag, without her knowing and plus read the manual when she is not around !!! HMMM

please enjoy yours

heard to many good things about the K20D, and i cant wait to try out my 50-135 on it

i suffer fromCBA, LBA, BBA

Dave

Dave,
Sounds like you have a serious problem my friend!
:?
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:35 PM   #19

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
The K20 really is a wonderful camera. It sure suits me better than the K10 did for all of the above reasons, and then some. So now you can join all of us posting those wonderful K20 pictures, making all of the others drool over their monitors.

Patty - why would you want to trade your wonderful K100 for a really heavy camera? Just think of all that extra weight hanging around your neck. And all of those extra buttons and levers that can get accidentally twisted to the wrong spot (I don't notice this half as much as I did with the K10 for some reason). So be happy with your new car and lenses, and be happy. Oh, and hope someone surprises you with that heavy camera for Christmas...
Thanks for the extra reasons to stick with the K100 for now. Although, is the K20 really that much heavier? I had compared them a few times in the local camera store and they didn't seem that much different. And, size-wise they didn't seem that much different either. The K10 did always seem to be heavier and much larger. Maybe it's just my dreaming.

I do like interested-observers plan. I have been happier and happier with the K100 lately. I guess my biggest thing about the K20 right now is the MP's.That is if nothing shows up under the tree at Christmas. Of course, I wouldn't turn it down if it did.:-) I did have some issues today trying to focus on some fall leaves. Not sure if it was me or the camera. But, they certainly didn't look on the LCD as though they were coming out.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:30 PM   #20

The K20 doesn't seem as heavy as the K10 to me, and I find it definitely more comfortable to hold. It's not lighter than the K10 (I think its less than an ounceheavier or something like that), but the ergonomics are slightly different and it doesn't seem as heavy. Of course, my problems with tennis elbow and my frustration with the intermittent focus problems I had with the K10 might have had something to do with how I felt about that camera.

Now days I don't find that the extra weight of the K20 to be noticeable when I'm actually out shooting. A coupleof times I've reached for the green button when using the K100 because I forgot which camera I was using. I'm very comfortable with the K20, it suits mystyle better,and find myself not bothering to carry the K100 as much as I used to when I had the K10. And yes, I find myself more and more being very happy I have the extra mp and the better resolution/more detail that the K20 is able to capture.

You won't regret getting the new lenses when you finally do get the K20 (or K30 or whatever the next version is). It's like opening up a whole new world. But remember that the K100 is still an excellent camera and I am glad I still have mine. And I was trying to come up with some suggestions as to why you should be happy with what you have.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote