Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 6, 2008, 5:33 PM   #1

i went to the local horse trials where a friend of mine was competing, i thought it would be a great opportunity to test out the continuous focus as ive seen people say its sometimes not up to scratch, well i didnt get hardly a single shot out of focus, so im not sure what all the fuss is about

it was quite a dull day and there was a bit of rain too, so i hoped the pentaxboast about all the seals in the camera were true.

heres a few of my fav pics, hope you like them

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2008, 7:30 PM   #2

Absolutely nothing wrong with those shots! Good camera and good shooter!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 8:02 PM   #3

Wow... what an absolutely gorgeous horse!
Those are some good pics too.
GW :bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 9:28 PM   #4

Nice action shots. Looks like you had no problems with it.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2008, 10:51 PM   #5

I gather these are of your friend? Very nice shots!

Is that aHOOF in the "water" part of the jump in the second picture (I was going to say stadium jump, but the rider is still wearing a cross-country sweater and isn't it usual to change back into a formal jacket for the stadium round? That's how it used to be in the States, but not sure how they do it there). Your picture is probably a little too clear on this jump - the rider realizes what the horse is doing (wrong)and you've caught them looking down. If it were me, I'd either laugh heartily and/or die of embarrassment. Excellent shot with perfect timing (or not, depending on your point of view), but not exactly flattering.

Finally, that last one - your friend is lucky to have a horse that so willingly gallops through water. My old horse hated to get his feet wet so water obstacles were always difficult. I'm envious (been horse-less for too many years with no chance of getting one any time soon) - it looks like a wonderful show and lots of fun was had by both horse and rider.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:28 AM   #6

thank you for the comments

how it works is they did the cross countrysection first, then the horse getsa very short rest (only a few minutes) then they do a timed section in the small arena.

well done spotting the hoof in the water, the fence actually got knocked down and she was very upset as it was the only penalty they got, she thought the horse stepped in the water but wasnt 100% sure, so was pleased to see the shot and see exactly what went wrong.

quite a lot of the horses did stop at the water on the cross country, as you approach it looks really deep, but its not, amber seems quite fearless though and just charges through, as you can see.

im very pleased with the pics but i think i may have a go at removing the B sign from the the first pic, as i think its very distracting.

Dave

Old Oct 7, 2008, 2:56 AM   #7

ok that was easier than i thought it would be.

in fact it was so easy i decided to get rid of the fence as well

Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:00 AM   #8

Great series, good shots.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 5:51 PM   #9

Not surprised by the fence going down - she's way too close to the fence for the hind legs to get out of the way. Its actually surprising - most of the times horses will use the edge of the "water" as a ground line, which backs them off and makes for a rounder, nicer jump (and less chance of knocking down a rail). It looks like the horsewas thinking about just stepping over it instead of jumping. In any case, it looks like both horse and rider had a ball.

Now I understand about the sweater (or jumper, isn't it?). Most of the horse trials I competed in were two dayshows, not single day events- dressage and cross country the first day, stadium jumping the second. In the summer I'd have a cross country tee shirt on all day the first day, adding a fake stock over it for the dressage portion so it didn't show under the formal jacket - nothing like going from formal to casual in an instant.

I like your cloning job, though I think I might have been tempted to leave the fence wing in (such things don't bother me much). I definitely like it without the jump marker - nicely done.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:43 AM   #10

Cool shots, and a great job on the cloning.

A work collegue wants me to do some shots of her horse competing at some point. After seeing how well yours turned out, I may give it a go.

Although she went a couple of weeks ago - the first trials for 3 years - and the horse went loopy, so I am glad I didn't go to that one....

What lens were you using for these?

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote