Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 11, 2008, 12:14 PM   #11

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
ok well its not backlit, it was lit from above, just normal room lighting.

the liquid is not lit up at all lol

theres no ice or mirrors involved either

it was touched up in photoshop,┬*but i only┬*altered the white balance to give it the blue tint and darkened the background,┬* the glass and reflection are as shot.

im not sure i should say how i did it just yet, ill let you think it over just a little bit longer, im pretty sure someone will guess.

Hi kazuya,

I'll take a stab at it -- but before, I'll commend you on a terrific shot -- very nicely done!

I think. . .

It was taken in a sink or other container under a window and is primarily lit by the outside light shining in (there's also at least one inside light on the side of the window)

The liquid in the wine glass is water (or maybe white wine). At first I thought mercury, but the bubble eliminated this possibility.

The wine glass is positioned by sticking it into something like a glob of putty stuck to the bottom of the sink, then you filled the sink with enough water to cover the glob.

The water in the glass actually refracted and distorted the scene from the window (a partially cloudy sky in full daylight), and you metered to expose the refracted sky correctly, thus underexposing the glass and adding some mystery to the scene.

I might not have it all, but I think this is pretty close. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 1:29 PM   #12

I don't know if this one really qualifies - one of the layers is a scan of an elevation drawn in 1927.┬* The other is a photo I took a couple of days ago.┬* It's something I've wanted to try and finally figured out a way to make it work, up to a point.┬* The one thing I figured out is that there's no way I could manipulate a photo to an elevation and have it match at all points┬*- the perspective is just too different (I tried with two different buildings).┬* Perhaps you could manage it with a shift lens or a view camera, but not with photoshop/distort tool.┬* I'd get one area right and the another one would be wrong.┬* It took me a while to figure it out - elevations are literal and photos are not.┬* It was a fun exercise.

P.S. I've changed my picture - see further down for the new picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 4:34 PM   #13

love the car, i used to have a celica, but it never had an outboard on it if only

that building is really different, ive never seen anything like that before, such a good idea and it works really well.

as for my picture, well i dont think anyone is going to guess so i will reveal all with this pic i took using my phone.

the pics a bit blurred i think you can see what i did, the pic i posted is actuly upside down, and its not liquid in the glass its air, just enough to keep the correct angle under the water, the hardest parts of takin the pic were,

because ive got wooden floors, as soon as walked anywhere near the tank the water moved making the glass move.

tiny bubbles kept appearing all over the place

the reflection on the glass, i ended up standing behind the camera holding a large black sleeping bag to stop them.

and getting glue to stick a piece of wire to the glassso i could dangle it in the water, it just kept coming off, i ended up usin a small piece of gaffa tape.

Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 7:46 PM   #14

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Okay, how about an outboard rally car?
That's a pretty good shot Ira.
the only problem I can see is getting to go forward with the motor mounted backwards!
:G
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2008, 8:15 PM   #15

How cool! I would have never guessed that you used air and took it up-side down. Thanks for the explanation - what a great, creative idea!

And I like Ira's outboard rally car, too.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 9:32 PM   #16

I missed last month's challenge. Here's an entry for this month.

K10d Sigma 10-20 @ 20mm 1/15 sec +1.3ev iso100 handheld.

Dennis

Driver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 3:07 PM   #17

Oooh - very nice! I was thinking of something along these lines, though I don't have something quite this spectacular for a subject.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:54 AM   #18

I realize this is very late, but I like this one better than that which was once posted on this page. As before, DL with the kit lens. It is at the Herbst Messe (fall fair) in Basel, Switzerland.

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2008, 1:40 PM   #19

Mirror in the sky. DS with kit lens Spot focus
Attached Images

DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:32 PM   #20
daz

Black bird up close.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote