Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 14, 2008, 5:47 AM   #1

Ok so I bought a lens adaptor from ebay and got it today.

Either I'm really dumb and a) cant figure out how it attaches or b) ordered the wrong one OR c) they sent the wrong one.

This was the ebay ad:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=150298667178

I can't get it to mount onto the lens. I had listed the lens here wayyy back when I was first into this and someone posted that I needed a M42 - K mount adaptor, but I just took out the lens now, and its 52 mm diameter...but the lens does mount onto my Praktica, which IS M42 screw mount, according to everything I've seen.

Anyone feel like guiding a charity case like me? :lol: You guys have been a lot of help in the past so I risked the embarassment to ask.
MichelleBuerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2008, 6:03 AM   #2

Ok, reading through my old Praktica manual, I don't think it IS M42 due to this statement:

'All the original Praktica lenses with thread connection M42 x 1 can be connected with the help of a Praktica adapter'

There is no adaptor on my Sigma lens, so I guess its not M42.....

So IS there another kind of adaptor? Is all I need is a screw mount adaptor like this?:

http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/lenses/adapters/screw.jpg

This is the lens (took me a while to find it online!)
http://cgi.ebay.de/Sigma-70-210-MM-Z...3286.m63.l1177
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:38 AM   #3

WELL...
I'm a little confused about what you have and what your trying to do. I'm not familiar with the Praktica, can you post a picture of the camera without the lens attached, and a pic of the lens you want to attach to it? then I'd know exactly what you need.
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 7:48 AM   #4

Oh! sorry, I know I'm all over the place as I have figured out a few things since the first post. I thought my original problem was that I didn't know how the adaptor attaches to the lens, but now I think its that I bought the wrong adaptor and need to know the correct one to buy.

The camera is a Pentax K100D, I dont have a picture of it naked but I am sure I can find one on even this site under the reviews.

The lens is a Sigma, which i posted in my 2nd post. It was bought in the 80s with a Praktica - I only mention the Praktica because I was told it was a M42 mount, but now I realize it isn't.

So what Ive narrowed it down to is that I need a simple K bayonet to screw mount adaptor, both of which are 52 mm. I found one on the Pentax online store, for 30$, so I just want to make sure its what I am looking for.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:41 AM   #5

WOW how confusing

OK first of all, yes Praktica's were M42 mount ,I had one, my first camera. Later they switched to Pentax K mount.

The description on the eBay ad you posted a link to says "PENTAX K-PK-Camera to SCREW MOUNT-M42-LENS" so it should work. Unfortunately the pictures do not show detail so I cant say if that description is accurate.

The lens you have a link to is a Cannon mount but sigma makes lenses in many mounts so we would have to see a picture of the one you have.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:47 AM   #6

Tjsnaps: is it possible I have one of the newer Prakticas? It was bought in the early 80s and specifically says in the manual that it can use a M42 lens WITH an adaptor. The bayonet on mine (a B100) is 52 mm.

I"ll take a picture later in the day - I'm sneaking on from work right now.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
Tjsnaps: is it possible I have one of the newer Prakticas? It was bought in the early 80s and specifically says in the manual that it can use a M42 lens WITH an adaptor. The bayonet on mine (a B100) is 52 mm.

I"ll take a picture later in the day - I'm sneaking on from work right now.
According to here http://www.praktica-users.com/lens.html there are 2 mounts.

The M42 screw mount and the B-mount (bayonet).

You would appear to have a bayonet camera body, http://www.praktica-collector.de/226_Praktica_B100.htm as the manual says it can use a m42 lens with an adapter. The adapter will convert a screw mount lens to bayonet mount.

Unfortunately, what you appear to want to do, is to take a bayonet mount lens and convert it to another bayonet mount.

This is not something you can do IMO.

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2008, 1:04 PM   #8

Thanks Dal. if thats the case, then that really sucks! I had bought this camera with the information that I could use my old lenses on it. Bah. Well, I guess I better start researching compatible lenses then....
Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:12 AM   #9

MichelleBuerre wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Dal. if thats the case, then that really sucks! I had bought this camera with the information that I could use my old lenses on it. Bah. Well, I guess I better start researching compatible lenses then....
I may have got the wrong end of the stick here Michelle.

Do you want to use an m42 screw lens on the Practica body?

If so, I think you may need one of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M42-to-Praktic...QQcmdZViewItem

If you ask the seller, they may know if it fits the B100 mount.

Good luck

Dal

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:22 AM   #10

Nope - the lens already fits on the Praktica, thank god. I was hoping to get it to fit onto the Pentax, as I have a love for my old, manual lenses. I actually held it over the Pentax last night to see what I saw through the viewfinder, and it looked so good....but of course it wouldn't fire.

I was thinking though....What if I bought a M42 to B Mount adaptor, and doubled it with a K mount to M42 adaptor? I wonder if that's doable.

But probably I should just start getting with the times and get some AF Pentax lenses.

:lol: