Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:30 PM   #1

A shot from early this morning. I thought it came out pretty well - taken with the K20 at ISO 1600 and the DA 12-24.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:40 AM   #2

Very nice! - your having too good of a time. I like the perspective and the ambient light on the building. The combination along with the symmetry of the building makes for a really nice picture.

If its still that dark out, how early do you get to work? - oh dark hundred?

My wife use to be on faculty at UCSB and they never started that early - I guess that traffic to UCLA is really bad.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:25 AM   #3

What a beautiful shot. Really has a wow factor.

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:54 AM   #4

Traffic can be really lousy, and I live 75 miles from campus. So instead of sitting in traffic for a long time and fuming,I usually get on campus a little before 6 and go work out at a gym. Yesterday I took a walk instead - wanted to take some low light photos as I don't have much of an opportunity otherwise, and the days are now short enough that it's dark at that time of day. I actually don't start work that early either - but its nice to only have to battle slow-n-go traffic one way.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:02 PM   #5

Harriet, that shot is just way cool!
I don't envy you a bit on your travels to work and back.
you put in more mileage one way in one day than I do all week round trip!
one of the biggest reasons I left Southern Ca was the traffic.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:22 PM   #6

love that pic, the angle really makes the huge building loom over you, very sharp too, was it hand held or did you use a tripod?

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 3:01 PM   #7

It was hand-held, I didn't even have the luxury of being able to brace myself on anything. 1/6 sec., 14mm, ISO 1600. No noise reduction. This is the full frame - when I looked at it full sized, I thought there was enough noise that I thought about it. However, Neat Image couldn't get a good profile from the picture so I didn't bother, just resized.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:08 PM   #8

Very cool shot. You really did well with the exposure, which I imagine must have been tough with the artificial lights appearing to be just out of the frame. Lots of detail there.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:56 PM   #9

Exposure was easy - the lights were a bit behind me. I had the camera set to "P", pointed the camera to the middle of the building (so that it wouldn't meter much from the dark sky) and pushed the shutter. I knew it would be f4 (largest aperture for the lens) but at 12-14mm focal length, most of the scene was going to be in focus. It's easier with a wide angle lens to take this kind of picture, I was concerned about the slow shutter speed, but the K20's image stabilization was up to it.

I hate to say it, but I tend to trust the camera mostly. My K20 tends to underexpose a bit in good light, so I usually leave it at Ev+.3. Here, I checked the first shot, thought it looked a bit overexposed, so I changed it to Ev 0, and that worked. Most of the time I leave the camera set to "P" and will adjust either the aperture or shutter speed if I'm trying to do something specific by the wheels, rather than changing the mode selector. I love having the hyper-program mode on the K20/K10.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 12:59 AM   #10

So and so warm. What a awesome shot, the angle, the light, you put it all together perfectly.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote