Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:30 AM   #1

lets see what you do. i know everyone has their on style, so lets compare. no holds barred with what you do. crop it, stain it, whatever.
just have fun with it...

roy
Attached Images

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:09 PM   #2

Cool idea! I'm going to have to wait until tonight to see what I can do with this, but I'm always willing to give it a try. I'll be interested in seeing what others make of it, too.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:39 PM   #3

firstly, what a nice pic it is, this is what i think id do if i had taken it.

first i cropped it then i lightened the macaw a bit and then i removed the post and the bolt head to give it a more natural setting

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:51 PM   #4

Hi Roy,

Sharp freak that I am, this is possibly too extreme for most, and is intended for printing or viewing the whole frame, not at the pixel level. It goes without saying that more could be done with a full sized image. . . but here's my take. . .

Cropped to vertical, resized to 2000 pixels on the long side using PSPX2 bicubic, lightened and contrast bumped, then slightly desaturated in ColorWasher2 plugin to make the colors less neon-like. I used a number of light application passes of Focus Magic plugin and PSP High Pass Sharpening on the bird only, then used the softening brush to tone down areas that were over the top. I also softened a number of the edges to lessen what looked like flash shadows. I played with the Hue brush to change the color of the upper branch, then removed the bolt head and desaturated the bright background leaves so they don't compete with the bird. Last, I resized back down to 800 on the long side, then touched up some details.

Sounds like a lot, but it's actually a relatively quick process -- maybe 4 minutes.

Scott
Attached Images

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:04 PM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
Cool idea! I'm going to have to wait until tonight to see what I can do with this, but I'm always willing to give it a try. I'll be interested in seeing what others make of it, too.
that's what i'm curious about.. we all like a certain style and that's what i'm hoping to see here..

scott?? want the raw file?? i can do that..

roy
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:20 PM   #6

OMG, scott, there is no pef. i was looking at this and it's actually a shot from my fuji s7000.. guess that's ok as this thread is about PPing and not the camera. i do have a 4.5meg shot of it if you want me to post it..

sorry'
roy
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:56 PM   #7

Roy

Here you Go. Cannot tell you exactly what I did. However its Cropped, Sharpened, I played With levels and Took out a bit of Color cast. Also a quick trip through Neat image.

Phil
Attached Images

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:11 PM   #8

tim,
i think you're going the way i PP..
interesting results. i'll post mine probably tomorrow working with the posted image.. if you want the originalthen ask..

roy
Old Oct 16, 2008, 9:13 PM   #9

My attempt
Attached Images

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:24 PM   #10

I had a go with it. I made the darks lighter and added luminance to green and blue, straightened the vertical line (the pole), cropped closer. Exported to CS2, copied the layer, sharpened the top layer, blurred the bottom layer and also adjusted levels to make it darker, then added a layer mask to the top layer and blocked out the background, leaving just the bird and branches sharp. Dodged the lighter parts of the pole so it would fade into the background. Not sure it's all that much better than the original - it's a lovely shot to begin with.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote