Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:02 PM   #1

It goes without saying that you need to watch out for gray market and refurbished models, but how can you be sure what you have? Presumably Pentax can tell by the serial number where its product was sold, You don't need a warranty card or even need to register - all you need in proof of purchase. The first two kits I bought (*ist D and K100) had warranty cards with the bodies, but not with the lenses. The K10 from B&H had none (they promised to send me one, but never did); I emailed pentax customer service the serial number to see if the body had been previously registered, but they never responded. The DA55-300 had none (I was told the serial number card was the warranty card, but it clearly states it is not), and the K20 from Cameta had none, in spite of their ebay claim that all their Pentax products come with irrefutable proof of US warranty coverage (there was none). I emailed Cameta customer service which has not responded. Has any one else had this experience? All of these products looked new and not repackaged, and were purchased from authorized dealers. What gives? Does Pentax not bother any more?

The only abnormality in all these purchases was that the K20 had a coating of a clear light grease-like substance on the lens mount, but no scratches to indicate a lens had ever been mounted - I wiped it off, avoiding the contacts, and it seems to work OK. I seem to recall that someone on this forum had a problem with a factory-applied coating that interfered with the electrical contacts on his camera, but I don't remember who or how it was dealt with.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:16 PM   #2

penolta wrote:
Quote:
It goes without saying that you need to watch out for gray market and refurbished models, but how can you be sure what you have? Presumably Pentax can tell by the serial number where its product was sold, You don't need a warranty card or even need to register - all you need in proof of purchase. The first two kits I bought (*ist D and K100) had warranty cards with the bodies, but not with the lenses. The K10 from B&H had none (they promised to send me one, but never did); I emailed pentax customer service the serial number to see if the body had been previously registered, but they never responded. The DA55-300 had none (I was told the serial number card was the warranty card, but it clearly states it is not), and the K20 from Cameta had none, in spite of their ebay claim that all their Pentax products come with irrefutable proof of US warranty coverage (there was none). I emailed Cameta customer service which has not responded. Has any one else had this experience? All of these products looked new and not repackaged, and were purchased from authorized dealers. What gives? Does Pentax not bother any more?

The only abnormality in all these purchases was that the K20 had a coating of a clear light grease-like substance on the lens mount, but no scratches to indicate a lens had ever been mounted - I wiped it off, avoiding the contacts, and it seems to work OK. I seem to recall that someone on this forum had a problem with a factory-applied coating that interfered with the electrical contacts on his camera, but I don't remember who or how it was dealt with.
That's a good question Pen,
I don't know about Pentax but, I bought the Samsung GX10 from B&H. I don't recall gatting any warranty card for either camera or lens. If I did, I didn't bother sending it in. as you know, I did have to send it for service and had no problem. I think I'd call there service line, they should be able to tell you within seconds if it's covered. good luck and let us know what the outcome is, I'm planning on getting the K20 from Cametta so I'd like to know for sure!
thanks,
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 5:05 PM   #3

my old fuji camera was a gray import, i only found out when i tried to download some software from the fuji site, after entering the seriel number i was informed that i hadnt got a UK model so i could not download the software, luckily the camera never had any faults so i dint have to try and claim on the warranty.

a few months ago though my monitor developed a fault, id bought it with a 3yr warranty and it was only 2yrs old, so i rang samsung and they imformed me that my monitor was USA model so was not covered by thier full replacement warranty. i explained to the lady that id bought it in good faith as a UK model, she was quite understanding and arranged for it to be collected, a week later it was returned and if not for the fact it had the same seriel number, i would have thought it was brand new.

so i guess all is not lost if you do buy gray goods, but it probably depends on the manufacturer.

i think if they had not fixed it, i would have gone back to the retailer, i still had thier add which clearly stated it had a 3yr warranty.

i must admit im the same as GW as far as warranty cards go, i never bother to fill them in lol
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:44 PM   #4

I Dont really have an answer Either. However like GW. Neither My New K200D or the 16-45 F4 lense I just bought recently from Amazon had a Warrrenty card

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:44 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

All of the Pentax and other gear that I have purchased from B&H, J&R, Sigma 4 less and most recently from Amazon have come with a warranty registration card enclosed in the carton. Seems very odd to read of so many instances of equipment from B&H et al that are without--unless they were sold as gray market.

J
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:50 PM   #6

Interesting question. I dug out my K20 box and looked inside it - I don't usually pay much attention to such things. I bought my camera locally, since I got it when they first came out and wasn't going to save much no matter where I bought it. I couldn't finda US warranty card in it, but it did have a piece of paper that said "For California USA Only" which was about the lithium battery, so there's no question that it's got a US warranty. It might have been there at some time and I just lost it, but I don't think so because there was another piece of paper in it that said "do not return to the dealer - contact Pentax" with the Mountain Time hours they are open.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 11:31 AM   #7

This from Cameta:
"
In regards to your inquiry, this unit is in fact covered by a one-year warranty supplied by Pentax USA. If you are a regular Pentax consumer, you may be used to a warranty card with the serial # and model # imprinted on it. However, this is not the case with the digital SLR cameras they manufacture. The unit will come with the serial number card as you stated, which does serve as proof of purchase along with your invoice. A good suggestion would be for you to register your new camera on-line, but please only do so once you insure the unit is in complete working condition. The website in which to do so is:

https://secure.prodregister.com/pentax/digital.shtml "

In a separate email they offered a 3 year extended warranty which actually sounds like it is not a bad deal - $99 covers repairs at a Pentax authorized repair station with a 5 day guaranteed turn around or your money back, also with a refund if it is unrepairable. It also covers accidental damage, which could have helped one or two of our contributors here. No pressure - but you only have 2 weeks to qualify!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2008, 5:23 PM   #8

penolta wrote:
Quote:
This from Cameta:
"
In regards to your inquiry, this unit is in fact covered by a one-year warranty supplied by Pentax USA. If you are a regular Pentax consumer, you may be used to a warranty card with the serial # and model # imprinted on it. However, this is not the case with the digital SLR cameras they manufacture. The unit will come with the serial number card as you stated, which does serve as proof of purchase along with your invoice. A good suggestion would be for you to register your new camera on-line, but please only do so once you insure the unit is in complete working condition. The website in which to do so is:

https://secure.prodregister.com/pentax/digital.shtml "

In a separate email they offered a 3 year extended warranty which actually sounds like it is not a bad deal - $99 covers repairs at a Pentax authorized repair station with a 5 day guaranteed turn around or your money back, also with a refund if it is unrepairable. It also covers accidental damage, which could have helped one or two of our contributors here. No pressure - but you only have 2 weeks to qualify!
Oh yeah!
it would be well worth the $100 if it covers accidental damage.
I'm still waiting for my refund from Samsung... soon as I get it I'm getting the K20!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote