Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:53 PM   #1

The other day I was wandering around trying to take some street photos. Of course, I didn't do very well with that, so I looked up and thought about trying to take a picture ofa palm tree on a street corner- I think it's some type of date palm.

I happened to notice that there was something green that didn't belong to the tree. Its certainly not one of our usual grey or black birds - I guess you could call it a colorful immigrant.

I spent about 10 minutes trying to get a clear (and properly focused) picture and mostly managed tail feathers. I usually don't have as much trouble with focus and shutter speed, but it was noon so I was fighting both the sun and the palm fronds. I ended up getting totally frustrated and didn't manage much.

The only clear picture, but the lighting is horrible:

At least I managed to get the eye:

This was the best as far as focus, but when I moved to where I could see its face, I was shooting directly into the sun. But I was pleased with the detail in the claw and the tail feathers.

I think it's a parakeet, though I thought it looked larger than the parakeets I've seen kept as pets. I went back today to see if I could manage a better picture, but they had moved on, not one was in sight. So I'm left with only marginal pictures of an exotic bird, another immigrant that has adapted well to California's wonderful climate.

All you who routinely post perfect bird picture after perfect picture sure have my respect and admiration!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2

Harriet, you would be surprised to know how many parrots (and their relatives) are escaped and naturalized in Southern California (and Florida).

As for the people who post perfect bird pictures, rest assured they have taken plenty that aren't - they just don't post them!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:03 PM   #3

penolta wrote:
Quote:
Harriet, you would be surprised to know how many parrots (and their relatives) are escaped and naturalized in Southern California (and Florida).

As for the people who post perfect bird pictures, rest assured they have taken plenty that aren't - they just don't post them!
Hi Harriet and Penolta,

Here around Chicago, we have at least two large colonies of parakeets -- made up of escapees and their offspring. They've adjusted to the cold climate by building large communal nests where they live year around. Pretty amazing animals.

I've got about 70,000 bird shots from the last 5 years that don't quite make it for one reason or another -- good enough to keep, but not necessarily interesting enough to post. . .

I started out just trying to get enough of an image to ID the birds -- then the more I observed them, the more fascinating they became, and I was amazed at the variety of species that I'd never noticed before. I then started to want better quality pictures -- and then better and better . . .:roll: Add a liberal sprinkle of LBA, and the world-wide market of ebay, and a pleasantly obsessive hobby was born. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 3:24 PM   #4

penolta wrote:
Quote:

how true P..

we have a colony here of aBolivian parakeet ..
it's almost, maybe is, a twin of yours.

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 4:38 PM   #5

Scott - you andPenoltawere the people I was thinking about - I don't see how you do it. I keep hoping some of Scott's phenominal birding/handholding abilities will rub off on me.

Roy - perhaps that's what this bird is. My field guide does include a couple of the exotic parrot/parakeet escapees in it, and this looked most like a parakeet - it's basically a green bird with a bit of yellow on the wings. It blended in well with the date palm fronds, I had a hard time spotting it, even though I could hear it.

I'm not a good birder - all birds around where I live are really good at keeping a branch or a tree trunk between you and them, moving just enough to maintain that buffer. I thought originally that there wasn't much variety, but as I capture an occasional bird I've been surprised to see that they aren't all jays and ravens (for that matter, we have a couple of different types of jays around). We have a much broader range of bird, depending on the time of year and the location. I just wish I could have managed a good shot of the parakeet!
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:29 PM   #6

I think there is something about us that WANTS photography to be hard. If there was no challenge, no chance of getting a better shot than the last one, most of us would not have nearly the number of frames on our shutters as we do. Insects, birds, moving objects, difficult lighting, whatever the challenge, it is what keeps us coming back for more. And for what it is worth Harriet, I think your last photo is one of the best bird butt photos I have ever seen :-) and is a good demonstration of the qualities of your lens (the A*300 I assume).

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:56 PM   #7

LOL! Believe it or not, one of the pictures I didn't post was even asharper bird butt picture, showing more feather detailbut it didn't have the interesting claw and date.It would only have been useful to someone studying bird anatomy.

Yes, I was using the A*300, handheld, not the easiest lens to use when shooting straight up.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:07 AM   #8

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
LOL! Believe it or not, one of the pictures I didn't post was even asharper bird butt picture, showing more feather detailbut it didn't have the interesting claw and date.It would only have been useful to someone studying bird anatomy.

Yes, I was using the A*300, handheld, not the easiest lens to use when shooting straight up.
Very good photos to me. You show the reasons bird photos can be a challenge. They just do not cooperate with you. Now that you have started, I expect more in this genre. :G :lol: I like Bird Butt photos...You'd be surprised to see the many thousands I have taken but not posted because I didn't know there was such a large group of others taking and posting them. Now I do not feel so alone. :|

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote