Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:27 AM   #1

We went back out on Sun afternoon to try races instead of practice. I think we accidently sold a gentleman a new K10 or K20.

These are all from the wife. I was the sherpa again but sherpa duty was light since all these were with the DA 55-300. She cannot pan and control zoom so passing shots do not exist however some of these are really nice.

The front straight showing the clubhouse, dirt track, and turf track.

Coming...

Going...

Entering turn 3...

My favorite (more levitating horses:G)

This weekend is the last weekend of the Fall Meet and we are already going elsewhere so I would bet this is it until the Spring Meet. If you are in Lexington next April, I suggest you give Keenland a look-see.

sgarthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:42 AM   #2

I would suggest for non-pan shots 1/250 is way too slow. The blur in the hooves isn't so much an issue as it shows motion, but you lose detail and sharpness in the riders and the body of the horses.

Shots 3 & 4 are great action but with faster shutters you'd get better detail in the muscletone of the horses and sharpness in the riders.

A quick fix that I think you'll find will make a huge impact the next time you or your wife shoot the horses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:19 PM   #3

I agree. We were torn between letting it get that low or losing the depth of field. I think she had most of these on AV at 8.0 In reality we probably should have moved the ISO up to 400 and the problem would have taken care of itself.

I still think airplanes at 400 kts are easier than a herd of horses at full tilt. The horses have too many moving parts.:G
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:21 PM   #4

Great shots-looks like the 55-300 is a gem.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:14 AM   #5

I really like the second one. That 55-300 does seem to do really well at a number of things, looks like it's a good utilitarian lens. I think you are also right that ISO 400 would have been a good idea. It doesn't add enough noise to create problems and would have nicely allowed the faster shutter speeds. Granted they aren't moving at 100 mph like a race car, but they aren't exactly slow, either.

Your pictures are making me want to go wander around Santa Anita in late Dec/early January when their meet is on.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:53 AM   #6

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
Great shots-looks like the 55-300 is a gem.
Thanks. After the Alaska trip we have pretty much started justtaking the kit lens and 55-300 when we leave the house. I have not seen anything in the 55-300's price range that beats it.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:03 AM   #7

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I really like the second one. That 55-300 does seem to do really well at a number of things, looks like it's a good utilitarian lens. I think you are also right that ISO 400 would have been a good idea. It doesn't add enough noise to create problems and would have nicely allowed the faster shutter speeds. Granted they aren't moving at 100 mph like a race car, but they aren't exactly slow, either.

Your pictures are making me want to go wander around Santa Anita in late Dec/early January when their meet is on.
Yes the 55-300 is really becoming the "go to" open spaces lens in the group.

I think they run in the 30 to 40 mph range. As with most of our pictures, user skill (me and/or her) is almost always the limiting factor.

With your lens collection and experience, I would like to see some Santa Anita shots. I have seen Santa Anita a few times. I think those would be very different from Keenland.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 1:19 PM   #8

Don't know how different it is - more spaces for crowds. The stands are probably bigger and they have a large area in the in-field for groups, along with a playground for kids. There are several diffferent restaurants and several different priced tickets.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 4:14 PM   #9

Isn't Santa Anita in the one near LAX? If so I have to believe there will not be any wide open spaces or tobacco barns for backdrops in any of the pics.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 3:13 PM   #10

That's Hollywood Park. Santa Anita is in Pasadena, pretty much right up against the mountains and has an awesome view. If you are interested in seeing it, watch the Breeders Cup races today and tomorrow - they are being run there. Sure wish I weren't sitting here at work today, and will be spending the weekend sorting out our new computers, and getting re-aquainted with things Mac, after a 10 year gap.