Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 22, 2008, 8:53 PM   #1

searching for the type that will suits me best, and was looking at the bogen manfrotto site, and could not understand why when you look at a particular model and it gives a max load rating of 3.5 kg, but yet it says only suitable for point and shoot cameras.
when you think about it, that is 7.7 lbs and i have never came accross a point and shoot no way close to that

Dave

Pentax K 10 D
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Domke F3X
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 22, 2008, 10:35 PM   #2

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:
searching for the type that will suits me best, and was looking at the bogen manfrotto site, and could not understand why when you look at a particular model and it gives a max load rating of 3.5 kg, but yet it says only suitable for point and shoot cameras.
when you think about it, that is 7.7 lbs and i have never came accross a point and shoot no way close to that

Dave
Hi Dave,

I think that the capacity listed with a tripod means that it will safely support the listed weight, but that doesn't mean that it will support this weight well for the intended purpose (holding the camera steady).

One of the big differences between P&S cams and DSLRs is the amount of vibration caused by the mirror and mechanical shutter. Vibration at the time of exposure in a P&S is almost nonexistent, but significant with any SLR with the mirror flipping up (and back down, but that's after the exposure) and the shutter curtains moving. The mirror movement is the biggest part -- that's why MLU (mirror lock up) is such a must-have feature for some users.

Most full-sized tripods will support just about any DSLR's weight, but the lighter aluminum ones will probably flex and vibrate more than you want. This can't be helped in a travel pod, so one must compromise for size and weight, and figure that something is better than nothing. If you want to use it to take critical shots, especially with long heavy telephotos, you're probably going to want something more substantial in a heavier AL or lighter weight but more expensive Carbon Fiber.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 2:37 PM   #3

7-7 pounds?? i've got a lens that weighs that much.. i've been using amvona pods and heads for years with no problem. they're build is as good as any of the namebrands.. i've got a CF pod and head that supports 10k,22lbs for $125 total..compared to 550-600usd..
ck them out on eekbay. take your time and lose a few auctions to get it at your price..don't buy at their store..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:44 PM   #4

dafiryde... I have a K200D with the same lenses and flash that you have as well as the DA 55-300mm lens. I recently picked up a Manfrotto 055XPROB with the 488RC4 midi ball head. This is an excellent combination as long as you don't have to carry it too far. The tripod has a maximum load rating of 7kg or 15.4 pounds. No vibration issues. I bought mine through Amazon.com. $290 for the combination.

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-488R...ref=pd_sim_e_2
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5

Initially, I was going for the Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod. I inquired those who already had it and most told me that it was just a little bit unstrable on windy days.

I settled for the 055XPROB amd the 222(3265) grip action head.

I find the tripod to be very steady and it has the lay over center section which works well for Macro Photography.

However, I am replacing the 3265 with the 322RC2 head. I seems to be easier to use than the pistol grip head and will support more weight. 11lbs as opposed to 5.5lbs.
EddyinGA is offline   Reply With Quote