Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:25 PM   #1

I'm now on my new computer, and learning new software. I'm temporarily without Photoshop (the store didn't have CS4 and they were out of CS3), but I do have Lightroom 2. That can now resize pictures!

This first one was resized in LR2 to the pixel width of my monitor, then uploaded to zenfolio (and linked to a reduced size version of it). Now I'm trying to use Safari to link to it.

Well, the pop-up screen for linking doesn't pop up, even though I have unchecked the "block pop-up" block. But the html tags popped up, so I'm giving it a try.

This second one I imported into the iPhoto program and did a further resize to have the height at 800 pixels, then uploaded directly here, rather than letting zenfolio resize.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:44 PM   #2

Great detail on the red flower Harriet!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:53 PM   #3

Thanks, Tom. I may cry on your shoulder if I get too frustrated because I can't believe it can be as easy as Mac sometimes makes it (who ever heard of installing a printer by just plugging it into the computer and trying to print something - and having the paper spit out if the printer right off!!?!).

After looking at the two pictures on the monitor - I don't like the one resized by iPhoto - it lost way too much detail/has too much jpg artifacts. It probably wasn't the best picture to test it on, but I don't think I'll use that method again. I'm really impressed with the sharpening tool in LR2 - it's head and shoulders above the one in the original LR.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 1:16 PM   #4

You may have lost some detail, and there are indeed some jpeg artifacts, butno matter. I love the light on those aspen leaves. It's a beautiful shot.
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 4:14 PM   #5

Hey Harriet,
I love the Hibiscus! it amazing how many variations their are.
the aspen is pretty in spite of the artifacts.
:-)
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 5:50 PM   #6

The flower isn't a hibiscus, it's a Hollyhock.Around here they always bloom in the fall, pretty much the last flowers to bloom for the year. And the tree is actually a cottonwood, but you can't tell that its not an aspen from the picture I posted. Cottonwoods grow much taller and narrower but turn that same wonderful bright yellow (the leaves are different shape, too). This picture doesn't give you enough information to tell the difference, and it could have been an aspen - they grow very well up here (though they are not native to the area).
Old Oct 27, 2008, 7:40 PM   #7

So you did get the Mac - congrats - you'll love it. I haven't used iPhoto, so I can't help you there (I use PSE6 which comes with Bridge from CS3), Unless you are running Windows on your Mac and want the Windows version, you should be able to get your Photoshop through the Apple education store online (go to the UCLA bookstore and you should be able to link to the Apple store through them and get your educational discount) - they ship quickly and from within California so you should have it in a couple of days.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 8:00 PM   #8

Wait until you get a wireless router and find out you just plug that in too and it just works like the printer even if it is a non Apple router.

Safari has better color on a Mac than Firefox! iPhoto is a better tool for organizing than it is for editing, and you should be able to get your education version of PS in the Bookstore and not have to worry about shipping at all. Use the Pentax Photo Lab as it does a very nice job although it is extremely clunky for lack of a better term.

With good glass that K20D is just amazing on how it pulls the detail out in an image, very nice.

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 9:49 PM   #9

Wow, I've missed a lot around here. Congrats on the new computer, Harriet. I just ordered a new one tonight, too. Mac hadn't even crossed my mind to look at. You'll have to let me know how it goes.

We've just been having so many problems since last month when we got hit with whatever it was. Decided if we had to rebuild to fix it, we may as well "rebuild" on a newer one. Our other was6 years old and wasn't capable of running the new version of PSE.

The hollyhock is really nice. I love the coloring. I remember them from when I lived there. Don't see flowers like that here in New England. We used to have one in our yard and a hibiscus when we lived in L.A.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 10:28 PM   #10

The Mac is really nice, I love it. I've been surprised at how much better the MacBook Pro's monitor compared to my 4 year old HP. I ended up getting the 15 inch MacBook Pro because it had 4 GB RAM, while the smaller MacBook only has 2 GB capacity (if I figured it out correctly).

I've already found out about the router. As I went through the computer set-up process (when you first turn it on) it asked me for the router's name and password then it did the rest. No telling it this and that, like on a PC. And yes, the router was originally set up on a PC desktop that was running Windows 98! Same thing for setting up my email - took a couple of keystrokes (though I did know a couple of things about the account). Much easier than setting up a PC (which I've also done). I'm going to continue to use the Mac mail program, rather than using the one that comes with MS Office (the version I have is called something other than Outlook - I didn't pay much attention to it).

There's a version of CS4 that is less than the normal academic version of the program, but the Student Store hasn't gotten it yet. I'd rather have the disks - just in case my hard drive fails (did that before, had to go through all kinds of hoops to get my software again).

Can the Pentax software run on Mac, without going through Boot Camp? I have no intention of getting Windows and booting up natively - then you have to get anti-virus, etc. etc. No thank you. Since Lightroom 2 can resize pictures, I'll probably just use it until the store gets CS4 in stock (should be any day now). Most of the time I used CS2 for resizing and a bit of USM, all of which LR2 handles very nicely. Of course, there's always times when I want more than that, so I'll still buy it (there's so much more it can do!).

I have noticed how much better Safari handles pictures, I'm very impressed with it. It works much the same way as Internet Explorer, so I don't feel frustrated with it at all.

And installing programs? Much simpler, can be as simple as dragging and dropping. I was using XP so could not see a thumbnail as an icon for PEF files. No problem with the Mac. I understand you can do that with Vista also, so that's probably not that big of a deal.

The trackpad on the laptop is cool, too. Scroll down a page? Drag two finders down the trackpad. Click where your finger is, the whole pad is a button. Right click? Click with two fingers anywhere. Very easy, works fine. Oh yes, my hubby got a iMac - a desktop computer without the box. I'm not at all sorry I switched.

And thanks for the compliments on the pictures, I really liked how the hollyhock came out.

P.S. I will end up getting a different GPS - my old Magellan's software only runs on a PC so that gives me an excuse to upgrade to a Garmin. When I looked at them this summer, I had already decided that was my best option anyway, just didn't quite want to spend the extra money to buy a new one. Now I have an excuse.