Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:10 PM   #1

Last week I bought a tripod and today I had an excuse to go use it. Went to have lunch with my wife and drove another 30 miles to this location.

I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I enjoyed taking them.

All shots were taken with Sigma 18-50mm EX DC f/2.8 lens.
No major PP, just some exposure /color adjustment and cropping
C&C are welcome.

Thanks for looking

(Edit: I don't know why the background trees look so soft when I post it online)
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:53 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Love the reflection in the still water--a classic composition.

The sky looks a bit over exposed. I had the same phenomenon when I was photographing the New River in WV a few weeks ago. The only way to overcome it is to try a graduated ND filter. Since I was past due in spending more money on gear and accessories, I recently ordered a Cokin P-Series Holder and a Graduated ND filter which should be delivered today .

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:47 PM   #3

Great pix.
Yes I noticed my pix look softer on the forum too.:-?
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:01 PM   #4

Thanks for the post. Brings back memories of my living in Sacramento for 17 years. I sure miss it there. I used to be a guide down the American River starting in Georgetown. Did alot of inner tubing down it and basically just a River Rat all summer long.

Mahalo,

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:36 PM   #5

Jelpee, I haven't bought any filter for this lens. I been meaning to buy a ND filter but never came around to it. I might get it this xmas when I buy the K20D.

Goldwinger,
I thought I was the only one. Also the color is not as good on the forum as it is in lightroom or photoshop.

vIZnquest,
I moved to Sacramento about 6 years ago but never really explored up north. I just recently found out about this place a few months ago when I went rafting there. Since you were a tour guild down here, any other nice place around here that you would recommend me to check out? Gas is cheap right now, I want to explore the area before gas price goes up. :G
Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:19 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Great pix.
I found it helps if you first re-size and then do the edits with sharpening as the final tasks. When using PSE, I take my original file and use the "Save for Web" option. Then I perform the PP on that image. This means that I have to PP twice--first the resized image for posting on forums andsecond the full size image for my own archives. Ifind the results noticeably better when compared to simply resizing an already PP'd image.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 6:01 PM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
Great pix.
I found it helps if you first re-size and then do the edits with sharpening as the final tasks. When using PSE, I take my original file and use the "Save for Web" option. Then I perform the PP on that image. This means that I have to PP twice--first fthe resized image for posting on forums andsecond the full size image for my own archives. Ifind the results noticeably better when compared to simply resizing an already PP'd image.
Thanks for the tip.

I use lightroom and it resizes the image when I export it out. I don't use PS as much as I used to. The only time that I use PS is when I need to work on a project or do heavy work on the image. Other then that, I use LR for color and exposure adjustments. But I will try that tip the next time.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:15 PM   #8

Nice pictures. The sky is not seriously overexposed, but you might have benefited from a polarizing filter (circular for SLRs). Your skies look better in the reflections than they do above. Some light intensity is lost to refraction, but reflected light also is polarized, which could be responsible for improving the color. A polarizing filter might have done the same for the sky by darkening it. It might also have reduced the haze against the hill in the background, and by increasing apparent contrast, seem to sharpen the leaves, which seem sharper in the reflection.

I always thought my pictures looked better on the forum, perhaps because of the black background?
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:00 PM   #9

So pretty, beautiful reflections, that tripod was well worth it.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 10:12 PM   #10

These really are pretty. I love the reflections especially.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote