Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 30, 2008, 3:42 PM   #1

Right now I have the K100D. Before that I had the DS. Both are great camera but one of the thing that I wish it had was when you take a picture vertically, you have to manually flip the image on the computer to get the image right side up.

I know other camera manufacture has this feature that auto flip the image right side up on the computer. Not just dSLR, but on PnS as well. I found out that it has a little gyroscope inside the camera and inserts an info in the metadata so the computer will know which way to flip it.

I was thinking of picking up the K20D over the winter for xmas but since money is tight again for me, I was going to settle for the K10D. I am not sure if K10D has this feature or not. If it does not, I would spend the extra money on the K20D if it had it.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2008, 3:52 PM   #2

Yes, K10D has this feature too... But K20D is worth every penny (and now there is not much of them left as price difference between 10 and 20 melts like snow- even before Xmas :-) )- and You do not update bodies every season- so You maybe reconsider on K20D.
Best and happy shooting, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:14 PM   #3

I know the price of the K20D has come down by alot. Right now amazon.com has it for about $807 shipped.

I've been looking around and I may be able to get a used K10D for half of that, about $400-500.

I won't buy it until xmas comes closer. I don't "need" the camera, I just want a new camera because I will start school in Jan of 09. By then, I hope the K20D will be even cheaper or I hope that they will have a rebate on it like the K10D did last year. I plan to buy a Flash and the BG as well if they offer a rebate.

Thanks for the answer.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:20 PM   #4

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I know the price of the K20D has come down by alot. Right now amazon.com has it for about $807 shipped.

I've been looking around and I may be able to get a used K10D for half of that, about $400-500.

I won't buy it until xmas comes closer. I don't "need" the camera, I just want a new camera because I will start school in Jan of 09. By then, I hope the K20D will be even cheaper or I hope that they will have a rebate on it like the K10D did last year. I plan to buy a Flash and the BG as well if they offer a rebate.

Thanks for the answer.
Based on the comments I have read in the forum unless you can buy the new DA * Lenses you might not get the results you are looking for. I have the DS and K10 so this comment is not from personal experience. That's the main reason I don't upgrade-I could afford the body but not a new group of premium glass.
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:26 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I must confess that the auto rotate feature has caused me some frustration. With it on, the image shows up the right way up when the files are imported from the SD card and therefore show up in the proper orientation when viewed through Windows Expolore. However, at times when I view the same file through a different browser such as the Adobe catalog or FSE, the image opens up in the original orientation (i.e. sideways). Therefore, I have to then rotate the image and re-save it.

At the current time, I have turned the auto rotate feature "off" in the K20D. So much for paying a premium for fancy features, but at least I know the orientation of the images and can work on them appropriately.

I'd be interested if there is a method to taking advantage of this seemingly "cool" feature!
Wingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 4:56 PM   #6

DMJJR wrote:
Quote:
superakuma wrote:
Quote:

Thanks for the answer.
Based on the comments I have read in the forum unless you can buy the new DA * Lenses you might not get the results you are looking for. I have the DS and K10 so this comment is not from personal experience. That's the main reason I don't upgrade-I could afford the body but not a new group of premium glass.
I think I get what you are saying. I am not upgrading my K100D just for the sake of upgrading. I am upgrading because I want to get more serious into photography. Next year I will be taking 3-4 classes in photography,photoshop and art. I want to learn studio photography because right now I don't know anything about studio lighting. Most of the stuff that I shoot right now are landscape. While 6mp is very good, it does not hurt to have 10mp on the K10D. Honestly, the K10D will be good enough and the K20D is even better from the pictures that I've seen for landscape.

As far as the glass goes, I do not have any DA* glass. I do have the FA50 f/1.4 and the DA 40mm lmt. I also have 3 EX series lenses from Sigma, (10-20mm, 18-50mm and the 24-70mm). I think these lenses are pretty good quality at least to my standard. I do plan to buy the 31mm lmt but not anytime soon.

Jelpee, do you have adobe lightroom? 90% of the time when I view my image it will be done on LR. I wonder if it will work with LR?

Old Oct 30, 2008, 5:47 PM   #7

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
I must confess that the auto rotate feature has caused me some frustration.* With it on, the image shows up the right way up when the files are imported from the SD card and therefore show up in the proper orientation when viewed through Windows Expolore.* However, at times when I view the same file through a different browser such as the Adobe catalog or FSE, the image opens up in the original orientation (i.e. sideways).* Therefore, I have to then rotate the image and re-save it.*
I've had he same experience -- some browsers will show the shots in portrait, some will show it in landscape in the browser, but open the file in portrait, then when you resave it in the program, it shows the thumbnail in portrait (PSP does this for both the K10 and K20). Because it's so wonky, I'd not consider this a reason to upgrade.

I don't feel that the K20 "needs" premium glass. Maybe I just can't see what others seem to take for granted, but I see all my lenses looking better with the higher res CMOS sensor. I do like to use premium glass, but I still have quite a few consumer class lenses, and I feel that the K20 has breathed new life into them.

High ISO noise, while still there, is much less objectionable since its so much smaller, and especially when reduced to posting size for the web, even ISO 6400 shots can be pretty clean without any NR -- the downsizing smooths out the luminosity noise and the chroma noise is smeared enough to not be very noticeable -- at least with my subjects. I've never tried an SR equipped 6MP body, but find the K20 to be the easiest of the Pentax bodies to shoot available light with. There are some tricks that I've found in PP that work a lot better with the K20 images than either of the lower res Pentax sensors (I still have and use the DS and K10).

My K20 focuses better with more lenses than my K10, but my K10 is a very early one, and I haven't bothered to send it in for the focus system update since it works fine with the lenses I use most -- so I'd have to pay for the change since my K10 is out of warranty. Now that they seem to have the K10 AF improved to K20 specs, and seem to have tweaked the jpeg engine, the most noticeable differences between the two models are write time (K10 is significantly faster), file sizes (K20 are significantly larger), and the fine tweakability of the in-camera imkage settings and focus adjustment. The K20 images are considerably easier to PP, IMO, and the "cropability" of the higher res sensor is a definite plus for tele shooters.

I think that you'd find the K10 a very nice upgrade, and the K20 as a very significant one. Whether it's worth the price difference is something only you can decide.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:48 PM   #8

Automatic orientation has not been a big factor for me, so I really can't comment in that regard. As a K100d user who upgraded to the K10d and then to the K20d, my input would be to go for the K20d. The only feature I miss from the K10d vs the K20d is the unlimited 3 fps burst mode. Aside from that, I think the K20d is superior in every respect.

There are lenses I avoid using on the K20d that I used to like on earlier cameras, the Sigma 24-135mm is the first that comes to mind. The higher resolution on the K20d will display the strengths and weaknesses of any lens more clearly. Overall this is a positive thing, the weaknesses of a lens may be somewhat more evident but a really sharp lens will come into its own on the K20d.

At the current pricing it is a no brainer in my opinion, the K20d is a fine piece of kit.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:10 PM   #9

I like the auto rotate feature on the K10/K20. It works fine with Lightroom, CS2 (I assume it will work with CS4 when I get it soon), and the Mac Finder so I happily use it all the time. It is true that not all photo browsers recognize it and you do have to rotate them, but they aren't ones I use very often.

Just my opinion, and only based on my own particular cameras, but I didn't find all that much gain in image quality/sharpness between the K100 and the K10 - just additional information/larger size subject that came in handy for macros/cropping significantly. However, the K20's image quality is different - the lens is capable of resolving better, giving a sharper picture when comparing pictures taken with better lenses.

When I first got the K20, I took some comparison shots with the K100 and the K20 using the kit lens (which I had been very happy with) and the DA*50-135. It wasn't that the K20's picture looked worse than the one taken by the K100, it was that the K20's DA*50-135 was significantly better than the K100's picture. To get the most from the camera you need better lenses, but I don't feel that the reverse is true - that a poor lens would be worse on it than it is on the K100. It just won't be any better, taking away one of the big arguments for upgrading to it over the K10.

I think the K20 is a significant upgrade over the K100, while I didn't think the K10, while more feature-filled, was that big of an upgrade. When I had the K10/K100 combination, I used the two cameras almost interchangeably (used both cameras at the same time, kept different lenses on each body) unless I was planning on cropping significantly. Now that I have the K100/K20 combination, I use the K100 as back-up mostly, depending on the K20 for just about everything and changing lenses a lot more. If you can swing the extra cost for the K20, I think it would be the better buy. If not, then get the K10 and enjoy it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:51 AM   #10

I have the K10D. I found I had a problem with it and sent it in for repair to Pentax. The problem became apparent after the warranty had expired so I had to foot the bill. After $280 dollars worth of repair my K10D now shoots much sharper images than before. My thought is they did something with the focus as it resolves much better detail now than before. Now if you wish to get a K10D and foot the bill, the focus upgrade will give you nearly K20 photos. I would go for the K20D if You can afford the extra cost or the K10D if your funds are limited. The K10D will give you quality photos but the K20D will give a higher quality IQ. It's just a matter of degree.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote