Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:18 PM   #1

i have noticed the K20D price has been dropping daily

is this because of the global economical problems or do they actually have a new body coming out to replace it?
Attached Images

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:33 PM   #2

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

is this because of the global economical problems or do they actually have a new body coming out to replace it?
Well... that's classified information.
I could tell you but, then I'd have to kill you.

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 6:47 PM   #3

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

Well... that's classified information.
I could tell you but, then I'd have to kill you.
how long do you estimate is this waiting peroid, or do i have to kill you to get that from you
Attached Images

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:13 PM   #4

Just my opinion, but it seemed that the prices started dropping when Nikon started shipping the D90. Why they dropped the prices? I could make all kinds of assumptions - 1. the economy is bad and they need to sell some product, 2. the competition is getting too hot at the price range they were asking, and they didn't want to lose market share to a direct competitor from Nikon, 3. they are coming out with a fabulous new upgrade to the K20 and want to move remaining inventory, 4. Hoya is going to dump the Pentax dSLR camera production (there are those on other boards that will try to convince you of this - I don't believe it for a minute), 5. they've lowered the price early, trying to capture more Christmas spending money earlier than normal. Notice that some of these possibilities are opposites, so they can't all be true. Take your pick of them or start your own new rumor of some sort.

I'm perfectly happy with my camera set-up and am not at all interested in upgrading, only perhaps of getting one or two more lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:36 PM   #5

I think that they are finally getting it together in time for Christmas spending and lowering the price to a very good place compared to the competition.

I forgot, there is no competition in the IQ space that the K20D resides in!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2008, 8:12 PM   #6

Interesting! Doing some quick searches just now I found body only as low as $549 at an unknown to me site. And, saw that the Pentax site is out of stock on it.

We just bought a new computer this week. No way I can "slip" this in the conversation now.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 1:30 PM   #7

I have been watching too. Just did a search for K20D body and had a lot of price hits for K200D (with the lowest at $576) - however the lowest K20D was $792.

I have been pretty happy with the K100, and if I were to upgrade - the K20 would be the next logical step up. I have been thinking about what to do when the new K3xx models are announced. I am somewhat hoping that the current k20 becomes the repackaged K300 in a somewhat smaller lighter package (similar to what they did with the K10/K200).

I will probably wait, but the current pricing is reasonably tempting - especially since I now basically have the 4 lenses I feel I need - my LBA has gone into remission.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:16 PM   #8

interested_observer wrote:
Quote:
I have been watching too. Just did a search for K20D body and had a lot of price hits for K200D (with the lowest at $576) - however the lowest K20D was $792.

I have been pretty happy with the K100, and if I were to upgrade - the K20 would be the next logical step up. I have been thinking about what to do when the new K3xx models are announced. I am somewhat hoping that the current k20 becomes the repackaged K300 in a somewhat smaller lighter package (similar to what they did with the K10/K200).

I will probably wait, but the current pricing is reasonably tempting - especially since I now basically have the 4 lenses I feel I need - my LBA has gone into remission.
Au Contraire my friend...Your LBA is either hiding waiting to ambush you or you are in denial!!! It will be back!!!!LOL

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 5:38 PM   #9

Well Dawg,

I did say remission, but you're probably right, it will rear up again. However, 2008 has been good - 2 new lenses, the 55-300 and the 12-24. I can not complain. Plus, from what I have seen posted here, the lenses should only be better on a body like the K20.

I am still figuring out the lenses, where the sweet spots are, so I have plenty of toys to keep me busy. Now, only if the heat will break. Here it is the 1st of November and its still 95 degrees out. At least it is cooling off a bit at night.

Well, I was out earlier this morning running chores. My wife wants another large bale of Timothy/Orchard for her critters, so I need to run past the feed store with the truck.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2008, 8:08 PM   #10

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

Hi Dave,

I think that we'll see replacements for the K20 and 200 at PMA at the beginning of March. If current methodology holds true, Pentax will be very quiet until just before the show, and will be ready to ship soon thereafter.

I think that the purported AF performance increase in the KM/K2000 indicates that this will be something that will be featured in the new models, and might be enough to convince me to upgrade, if it turns out to be a significant improvement in performance without compromising accuracy. I'd also like an AF assist that doesn't use the popup flash and faster write speeds, but these are relaively minor matters.

I'm no marketing expert, but I think that announcing their upmarket models at PMA and their entry level stuff at Photokina makes some sense for a smaller mfg -- Their already reviewed and time-tested higher-end models are now competing with the brand new models from the others, and though the "new car smell" has abated, they can be offered at deep discounts for the Xmas season, while the new stuff from the others is still in their MSRP stage. I think that more than ever, Pentax is viewed as a great "bang for the buck", and I think this is a good marketing niche for them, considering the outrageous cost of trying to keep up in the "leading edge" segment. An early spring intro also coincides with my main shooting season, but unfortunately for me, that means that I'll have to pay close to full price to play. . . :?:

No inside info here -- just spinning a bit for Pentax. . .:-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote