Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:01 AM   #1

I have the Sigma EF-500 DG Super flash, up until recently it has worked fine on K100d, K10d, and K20d. It's function now seems very inconsistent. It seems that the flash and camera are not communicating correctly. Taking shots indoors yesterday some shots were at 1/40 to 1/50 (bounce, Av mode, f/5.6) and correctly exposed and other shots would be 1/5 with the same settings and grossly over exposed. I am also getting the same thing with direct flash in macro, it appears the camera is not seeing that the flash is there and ready to fire.

I tried the flash on both the K20 and K100 and the same symptoms appear, so it looks like it is the flash not the camera. I tried cleaning the contacts on the camera and flash with a lens cloth, this did not improve anything. The problem only started recently but it intially was only affecting about 1/4 of my shots and is now affecting 3/4 or more. Swapping batteries did not change anything.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem or have any suggestions? I have never really learned all the modes and functions on the flash so it is possible I have somehow set something wrong. This is happening when the camera is in P-TTL mode.

One last possible theory. I first noticed the symptoms using the flash with my 180mm adaptall and extension tubes. The KA adapter on the 180mm has always been a little finicky and as you focus it will sometimes loose communication with the lens and you have to twist the adapter a few millimeters to fix it. Could this have done something to the flash that would persist with other lenses?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:09 AM   #2

I have experienced this several times with my K10D, both with the flash on camera and using the sync lead.

The only thing I can put it down to is the contacts. Not just the 4 pins, but also the earth side onto the actual hotshoe.

I think the pins on the Sigma may be a little too thin, so if the flash enters the shoe just slightly adift, then the pins don't make full contact.

Just my thoughts....

Dal
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2008, 5:27 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Dal. I take it the solution you have used is to unseat and reseat the flash? This does not seem to work for me, but sometime pressing it one way or another in the hot shoe seems like it might make a difference, so you may be on to something.

Have your issues become worse with time or are they fairly rare?

Thanks,
Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:52 PM   #4

Hi, Tim. Not that I know anything, but have you tried putting in fresh batteries. The problem sounds similar to one I'd been having with my K100 a while back. I sent it in to be checked (days before warranty ended) and was told all was fine. On their recommendation, since then, I've been using the CRV3 batteries and no problems.

Just a thought.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote