Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:00 PM   #11

will try

one more thing. if you use the camera in manual mode and flash to p-ttl,would the flash still give off a pre flash

Dave
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 1:31 PM   #12

dafiryde wrote:
Quote:

one more thing.* if you use the camera in manual mode and flash to p-ttl,*would *the flash still give off a pre flash
Hi Dave,

I believe that as long as you're using at least an "A" type lens, with the lens set to the "A" position on the aperture ring, P-TTL will work, and is the default flash mode, so yes it will preflash.

This is, in fact, one of the best ways to balance flash with ambient light in the room. You must set your shutter speed to slower than 1/180 so it will synch with the flash. You meter for a reasonable exposure of the background, with appropriate shutter speed and aperture, then with the flash in P-TTL mode, you focus on your subject and let the flash set the exposure for the subject. Since the background will be exposed as per your manual exposure settings, and the flash will meter your subject and cut off the flash at the appropriate time, you should get a balanced exposure of the full scene -- as opposed to those shots where the subject is well lit by the flash, but everything else is pretty much black. You can also get creative and use a very slow shutter speed to allow motion in the background to blur, while the short duration of the flash stops any motion in he subject.

This is known as "dragging the shutter", and though it's possible with less sophisticated flash systems, it's especially easy with P-TTL. This is a very good technique for events like weddings and parties in slightly darkened rooms, and the balanced exposure of the full scene will set your pics apart from the flash shots from the P&S shooters.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 2:15 PM   #13

snostorm you have been a big help

that setting you gave me for sleepy eyes solved many of my issues with the 360 flash. as before i found when using the P-TTL on flash, it often gave underexposed shots, and usually had to dial up iso. not too far back i was wondering if this flash was putting out the ammount of juice it is suppose to . but with this newsetting, every shot so far is on the money. though i have not been able to get the wifes attencion yet as she sufferes heavily from the sleepy eye look.

as for the camera in manual mode and the flash in P-TTL, i recently discovered this setting thru a forum , this works out great for concert photos
Attached Images

dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote