Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:22 PM   #1

Hi All,

I was out playing around in our 70 degree weather yesterday and as I parked in front of my favorite sushi restaurant, I heard some birds, which has been a rare thing around here lately. I looked up and saw a pair of House Finches in a (cherry?) tree, eating the fruit. I had the K20 with the Sigma 300/2.8 + Sigma 1.4x TC, but when I looked through the VF, everything was blurry. I use the Nikon VF magnifier, and though it fits, it leaves the diopter adjustment slider very exposed, and apparently dragging the camera out of the case had knocked it off adjustment.

I trusted the AF system, and shot anyway, figuring that I'd get what I get -- After a few shots of the male, I decided to get the diopter at least close, so I took my eye away from the viewfinder, moved the diopter adj to where I though it should be, then looked up to see the female fly down and push the male off the branch and start eating the cherry he had started on.

Here are the shots.
The male shots all suffered from motion blur and were a little OOF

The female came out better. . .

Notice the foot placement -- too bad I didn't have my wits about me, I would've tried to get a closer match in poses. . .:roll: I tried to crop as closely as possible, but after bringing the camera down to fiddle with the diopter, I apparently wasn't shooting from exactly the same angle.

BTW, the difference in exposure was probably due to Auto ISO and spot metering -- I probably locked the exposure on one of the dark stripes of the female, and a lighter area on the male. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2008, 10:38 PM   #2

Nice shots, pity about the first one the lighting is so warm, the 2nd is very sharp.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 1:24 PM   #3

Hi Rodney,

Thanks for looking. -- unfortunately I wasn't really prepared for this, as I've never seen this before. Probably won't happen again. . . and if it does, I'll probably get caught off guard again, so it really won't make too much of a difference. . .:?:

Scott
Old Nov 5, 2008, 4:14 PM   #4

That's amazing Scott!
I had to go back and forth to compare them, it really something how close they are. I would have believed you if you had said they were the same bird shot a few seconds apart with a slight adjustment in focal settings.:-) and you're right... it will never happen again when you're ready for it:?
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2008, 4:29 PM   #5

Hey Scott,
you mentioned the Nikon VF magnifier, how do you like it? I just got a 1.5X from Adorama for the K10/20 and it's is a help but, not as much as I was hoping for. Do you (or anybody here) know if anyone makes one with a higher magnification ratio? Thanks,
GW

BTW, you shouldn't be surprised by the female pushing the male out of the way... it's a woman thing!
Old Nov 6, 2008, 9:34 AM   #6

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
*Hey Scott,
you mentioned the Nikon VF magnifier, how do you like it? I just got a 1.5X from Adorama for the K10/20 and it's is a help but, not as much as I was hoping for.** Do you (or anybody here) know if anyone makes one with a higher magnification ratio? Thanks,
GW

BTW, you shouldn't be surprised by the female pushing the male out of the way... it's a woman thing!*
Hi GW,

The only ones I've seen are 1.3x, the Nikon, Pentax, and a third party one made in China that comes with a foldable eyecup. I've forced myself to use the magnifier this season because I feel it helps me get critical focus with the birds, The downside is that with my glasses, I can't really see the exposure info in the VF without moving my eye around some. I'm finding that I'm shooting at less than optimal settings quite a bit more than before, so I'm going to switch back to the standard one soon and see if this change helps with this. I find that with the K20, I can pretty much trust the AF, so I'm thinking that the improved view might not be as important as being able to easily see the exposure info easily -- we'll see.

Scott
Old Nov 6, 2008, 2:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback Scott.
reading your answer made me go back and check my info and sure enough, I was wrong. the magnification on mine is 1.2
(I just got it yesterday) and the more I test it the less I think of it. I don't think I would have spent $35 on it if I had been able to try one before I ordered.:sad: I'm wondering why manufactures don't make larger viewfinders for us old farts!:G
GW:bye:
Old Nov 6, 2008, 6:45 PM   #8

I love the shot of the male! Maybe it is a little out of focus, but a once ina lifetime shot.

I'm amazed by the superb framing of the bird, with the background branch to his (our) right and the berries to his left and above, but nothing cutting through or behind him (well, except for that one, large branch, but it's far enough away in the DOF to not be distracting).

The sidelighting really brings out his features and gives it dimension, and the DOF is great.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote