Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:11 PM   #21

I thought at one time getting a certain lens would be the end of my search for the "Holy Grail" in my photography. Didn't work out that way. Each lens and camera combination is different requiring different settings and techniques to get the most from a combination of camera, lens and photographer. You have to learn where each lens wants to shoot. Some love low light some bright light. Some shoot better close up some far away. Some are good wide open some in the mid f/stop range. The camera can over come some of this but the best photos will be in the particular comfort zone of that lens. Thus you must use each combination enough to find it.

Dawg

bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:50 PM   #22

macro tip,
get the cords to get the flash off camera
get a cheap camera grip(i made mine) and a 12mm/1/2'' pole about 2m/6' and useit in your lefthand as a monopod..grip it and thecamera for support.. i'll guarantee your keeper rate will double..

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:02 PM   #23

Gear: For those able to use AA batteries, get Lithium batteries for cold weather.
Tip: Photograph when the weather is bad, at night and other times when the light is not perfect. Don't just be a sunny day photographer. Take a camera everywhere you go.
Dan
No_Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:24 PM   #24

Since I like to take flower pictures, which our often close up, here's a couple of things I use and do.

Use a collapsible diffuser. These are round and fold to 1/3 there open size. This year I am going to try and use a 22" one. Last year I used a 12", which was to small for a lot of shots. I use the Photoflex Litedisc (very lightweight). In some situations, you can also use a reflector to get the light just right. It's all about controlling the light and shadows.

Use your 2 sec timer with mirror lockup and a tripod for perfect no movement shots. This can be tricky on a windy day. The one thing I have found about windy days and flowers is the wind (almost) always stops for a few seconds and you'd better be ready as you may wait 5 or 10 minutes for it to happen again.

Also watch the background,especially the light colored stuff or sunlight blotches that can blow outand detract from your flower. For some reason, the eye never notices them, but wait until they hit the computer screen- Bruce

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 9:36 AM   #25

Hey everyone . . . I just learned a lesson today . . .

- Before you get out of the car, turn your camera on (maybe switch itto automode) and look around before you openyour door.

I was out practicing and I saw a sunrise shot I wanted to try to capture. I grab my camera, jump out of the car and two deer go prancing by me within about 10 feet of me. Of course, I don't have my camera on so I don't get any shots off (not that any would turn out), but I didn't even get the chance to try. By the time I turned my camera on, they were long gone.

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 2:09 PM   #26

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:

- Before you get out of the car, turn your camera on (maybe switch itto automode) and look around before you openyour door.

I was out practicing and I saw a sunrise shot I wanted to try to capture. I grab my camera, jump out of the car and two deer go prancing by me within about 10 feet of me. Of course, I don't have my camera on so I don't get any shots off (not that any would turn out), but I didn't even get the chance to try. By the time I turned my camera on, they were long gone.

Take care,
Glen

I know that feeling... it never fails, the best shot you'll never get is the one you missed!

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:40 AM   #27

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:

Take care,
Glen

Tough luck Glen. Been there done that and cussed a blue streak afterward!!!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:24 PM   #28

Glenn - A couple years ago I was going up a trail in a Sagebrush area and had my camera around my neck figuring on photographing wildflowers. I caught a movement on the trail about 20 feetin front of me. Down the trail came what looked like a beautiful German Shepard dog headed right toward me.

It was alarge Coyote in fullWinter furand before I could grab the camera around my neck, he had disappeared silently into the Sagebrush. I can still see those wild eyes looking at me. These things always happen when your not expecting it and you have to enjoy the quick look you have, kind of like a picture in your brain.

Coyotes are pretty common in this area and I often see them, but from a distance as they are quite skittish and usuallyprettycautiousof you. They can really make music at night- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 3:29 PM   #29

Great advices overall

Learn to see the special thing, that fascinates you in a scenery.

It is really boring not getting the result i wanted, cause i did not focus on (or worse: i did not really identify) the stuff that attracted me in a scenery.

bye alex

albreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 4:28 PM   #30

favourite gadget - a 2x convertor with the glass removed for macros

words of wisdom - have fun, experiment, have fun, explore, and above all else have fun
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote