Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2008, 4:22 PM   #1

i was looking at the sandisk 4gb extreem 111 sdhc memory cards in amazon and realised they have two types and both at different prices, by at least 50%. only thing i can see in the wording is one ends with retail package and the other end with static package. sandisk web site does not give any info on this , only thing they give is that i should be using the 32gb card and still no info why

Dave

Pentax K 10 D
DA*16-50 : DA*50-135 : 360 FGZ
Domke F3X
dafiryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2008, 4:49 PM   #2

Do you have a link to it at Amazon?
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:03 PM   #3

Rufus T Firefly wrote:
Quote:
Do you have a link to it at Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ywords=sandisk

look at items 5 and 8

Dave

Pentax K 10 D
Domke F3X

Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:48 PM   #4

The 2GB Extreme III retail packages I recently got from Adorama were boxed with a carry pouch and a mini CD with Image Recovery software. If you look at the SanDisk website you will see various different retail package offers (some with card readers), so check the product number to see which this one is. If you buy from "bulk" shipments you get only the card, and run the risk of getting counterfeits (I got stung this way once). The bulk offer you saw is not an official SanDisk offer.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:55 PM   #5

They are both Class 6 (20mb sec). I think the biggest difference is the packaging. From the lower priced one:
[*]SDSDX3-4096 BULK - Each unit is individually packaged in an Anti-Static Parts Bag The retail packaged one mentions recovery software with it. I didn't see anywhere that either one comes with a reader. SDHC cards cannot be read in a standard SD reader. I bought two of these from Adorama earlier this year and they each came with a small reader and software. At Adorama it is $24.95 after rebate and it states it comes with the reader! http://www.adorama.com/IDSSD4GE3.html
[/*]
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 6:40 PM   #6

The white label $24.95 ExIII 4 GB with reader at Adorama is a 20 mb/sec card. The class 6 4 GB ExIII card (30 mb/sec) has a black label and comes without a reader at $39 after rebate. Your Amazon #5 is a black label and #8 is a white label.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2008, 11:43 PM   #7

penolta wrote:
Quote:
The white label $24.95 ExIII 4 GB with reader at Adorama is a 20 mb/sec card. The class 6 4 GB ExIII card (30 mb/sec) has a black label and comes without a reader at $39 after rebate. Your Amazon #5 is a black label and #8 is a white label.
exactly my point, and from what i discovered the model # sdsdx3 for example.

amazon picture looks different than sandisk web site own,

amazon has write speed at 20mb/sec whereas sandisk list at 30mb/sec

amazon price is at $18 whereas sandisk is at $65 ( as compared to model# sdsdrx3 amazon $30 ,sandisk $50 )

i know of so many what they call China knock down, and believe you me, they put almost every detail into their copies that you really have to look at them really hard to notice the difference,and if you miss it ,you will find out when it fails and shows its inferiority. which is usually in no time at all.

so what is really going on here

Dave

Pentax K 10 D
Domke F3X
Old Nov 8, 2008, 2:22 PM   #8

Hi All,

There's been some mention of tranfer rates in this thread. This is, IMO, an important aspect of memory cards -- but the specs are so confusing or non-existent concerning both card speed and camera throughput. I kind of understand, and have gotten used to the CD-based spec of 1x = 150 KB/sec (that were sometimes confirmed, but often were not), but am a bit put off by the "Class X" speed specs (I don't particuarly like the vagueness of the "at least" part).

I've been using Transcend Class 6 4GB SDHC cards (my thinking at the time was that Class 6 seemed to be the fastest of the then relatively new SDHC cards) and find the write speeds of the K20 a bit slow for effective chimping, which is important to my shooting workflow.

I just did a very unscientific (seat of the pants) test with a Ridata 1GB card (spec says 133x -- so @ 20MB/sec) against my Transcend Class 6 ("at least" 6MB/sec) shooting 5 frames contiuous ***jpeg at the same subject, and the Ridata was noticeably faster clearing the buffer of the K20 -- about 2-3 sec vs 4-5 sec. So it looks like I'll be spending some money to upgrade to at least 20MB/sec cards.

Has anyone done any comparisons between the 20 and 30 MB/sec cards to see if there is any additional speed advantage? I realize that the limiting factor will likely be the max write speed of the camera, and I'm willing to spend the money to upgrade to the fastest cards if there is a noticeable improvement in performance.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Edit: I have, in the meantime, done a little bit of online research, and have found references that state -- for the K10 -- that the max write speed is somewhere around 16MB/sec -- but nothing specific for the K20. Anyone???
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:54 PM   #9

I've never bothered about the writing speed in camera, whatever card I have used it has been good enough for what i shoot.

But when I started using 2 GB cards (SanDisk Ultra II)in my K20D I was (and am) annoyed by the very slow download from card to the internal hard drive, using the built-in card reader in the computer. But I have thought "well, I can always have a cup of coffe, this is part of the game".

At the Munich airport I found a package deal on two 4GB cards (SanDisk Ultra II) with card readers which was too tempting, so I bought them. Finding that the download was very much faster when I used the card reader that came with the card, connected to a USB port. About 5 minutes for 4 GB vs 20 minutes for 2 GB using the internal reader.

I won't even try to understand why, but guess what I'll use for the future!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 9:59 PM   #10

Hey Kjell,
good to see you back!
:bye:
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote