Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:09 PM   #11

Hello Everyone,

Here is my first attempt at something to do with flash for this challenge.

I'm going to have some fun with this topic! Thanks bb2!

Equipment used:
- Pentax K100D (set to manual, F16, 1/125sec.)
- Vivitar 285HV flash (set to manual 1/16th power)
- Cheap wireless flash triggers to get my flash off the camera
- Some cardboard taped to either side of my flash to act like barn doors to try to stop the light from getting on the foreground & background

Method:
- Held my camera in my right hand and tried to compose the shot as . . .
- I held my flash unit (with the make-shift cardboard barn doors taped to it) in my left hand aimed from the left side and slightly above mom & Emma.
- Then sent through Opanda PhotoFilter (Cokin 047 Gold(85B)) to make it more warm. (Thanks vIZnquest for the tip when I was asking about B&W shooting / conversion).

Take care,
Glen

tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:31 PM   #12

Hello,

Here is another shot of just my daughter Emma.

Same set-up and method as above.

Boy, now I'm having fun! <grin>

Take care,
Glen

Old Nov 12, 2008, 2:59 AM   #13

Tried a variety of setups using K20D, Sigma 28-70 EX lens,Sigma EF530 Super flash on camera and SLS 006S slave behind vase. Also did some shots using an old Sunpak 140 flash (Caution high trigger voltage- use as slave only!) with SLS 750 peanut sensor/trigger.

This version 1/90, ISO 100, F11. Manual on camera and flash.
Sigma 28-70 EX lens and Sigma EF530 Super flash on camera. Power 1/2 ?
Slave behind vase
Slaved flash to LHS

Edit This doesn't count as my entry. See later!!

Attached Images

beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:31 PM   #14

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My first attempt at this type of photography...K20D, DA*16-50mm, Sigma 500 DG Super flash.

11/13 Edit:Method: Dark Room/Black Background. Started the Newton's Cradle and remote released the shutter (5 second exposure). Flash was set to "multi" flash setting at 15 hz and power at 1/64th to discharge 30 flashes. Flash was hand held and manually fired using the test button.Applied Noiseware + cropping and minor sharpening with PSE5.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:33 PM   #15

I'm not even going to ATTEMPT an entry this month after those last 3 shots! Truly amazing, every one of them. My experience with flash photography is just about nill.

Great shots, Glen, bb2 and jelpee!
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 9:34 PM   #16

The quality of the shots posted so far is amazing, but I'm going to post anyway. This morning I worked on flash for about two hours with a very understanding model. This shot was the favorite for both of us.

Taken under a bridge, flash off camera hand-held at an angle so it bounced off the concrete behind and to the right of the model. No direct light on the model.

K20d, with AF540Gz flash, P-TTL mode, FA-50 f/1.4 lens at f/16, 1/60sec, ISO 400 +0.3 EV

Attached Images

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 8:21 AM   #17

PinonMesaJon wrote:
Quote:
I'm not even going to ATTEMPT an entry this month after those last 3 shots! Truly amazing, every one of them. My experience with flash photography is just about nill.

Great shots, Glen, bb2 and jelpee!
Yes, that was my idea too after that fantastic Newton Cradle picture (congratulations btw. - killer shot!) - holy cow! Even though I KNOW that this entry will win, I'll add my try... the olympic idea... you know... *sigh*

This is in my garden and while I usually use small f-stops (if not doing macro) I thought that challenge might be good to try new things. Kit lens (18-55) and DL2 used plus in-camera flash. I am not "there", but this is what I am going to try: adjust f-stop and focal length in a way, that with the flash the main object is seperated from the background, but due to huge f-stops the background has still visible structure/color. The idea is to show the amount of things you normally see with your eyes, the masses of information and the details in everything. This is a completely new thing for me, so be gentle, ok?

I might change my mind later, but so far this is my entry this month. As a description something like "fluff" or "fuzzy" come to my mind... ISO200, f/22, 18mm, 1/30s, handheld, -1 exposure compensation, -2 flash compensation, manual focus. Exposure and stuff corrected in RAW converter plus cropped.

Th.
Attached Images

thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:41 PM   #18

Hello,

Thnkn777, I like your thnkn behind your shot. You got my Thnkn now! If you don't mind, I might try something along that line as well.

In the meantime, here is a "Flash" shot of my older daughter that I took today.

We had fun with this one.

1) Flash unit (Vivitar 285HV) set to manual (1/16th power) fired wirelessly (inside the pot) with a couple of orange filters (from a couple of old Vivitar 2800's I had) over the flash lens to give a different colour.

2) Pentax K100D set to manual exposure at f11 @ 1/125sec.

3) Taken in my bedroom with the shutters closed. f11 knocked out the ambient light.

Take care,
Glen

Old Nov 16, 2008, 5:35 PM   #19

WOW! All of these are really awesome pictures! And so many imaginative ways of using flash, too. I can see there's a whole new level of photography that I should explore more - these are just wonderful.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 10:28 PM   #20

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
WOW! All of these are really awesome pictures! And so many imaginative ways of using flash, too. I can see there's a whole new level of photography that I should explore more - these are just wonderful.
Harriet, I know exactly what you mean. I am just beginning to explore the possibilities with flash. The young lady I had working with me yesterday is an artist and former student who was willing to go out for a morning just to experiment with different flash techniques. (She got a free shoot for Christmas gifts; I got a cooperative subject--not a bad trade. You can see some of the other shots in the People forum.) We did a lot of experimenting with fill flash and using a slip-on fabric diffuser in addition to the bounce experiment I chose for my posting.

I have done just enough with flash to know how much I don't know, but also enough to see what I have been missing. I am very glad each of the talented photographers posting is sharing the technique used so we all can learn.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote