Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:42 PM   #21

theres some great pics here and this compitition is a great way to make you try out new things, so much so that i want to join in, but i dont have afancy external flash like you show offs hehe, but its on my xmas list

so ive been fiddling with the built in flash, i took this today with theflash set at -1 and using a home made difuser cut from a milk carton. i called it "let sleeping dogs lie"

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 9:39 PM   #22

Hi kazuya

Goes to show you can take very nice photos with in built flash.

Cheers

bb2

beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:16 AM   #23

I may change this later on if I get something I like using a more advanced flash technique. However, here's something very basic - using flash outside to fill in light for flowers in shadow, without it looking too harsh.

I used a 540 flash with the pull-down wide-angle screen/prism over it (part of the flash), added a cone coffee filter for a diffuser, set the camera to use the on-board flash as a controller only and held the 540 in my left hand off to the side, not directly pointing it at the flower.

It's not as imaginative as the others in this thread, but I thought its much better than my previous attempts to use flash for flowers.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:24 AM   #24

Wow, there are some amazing shots here. I haven't come up with anything yet. I have a flash unit, but am still learning how to use it. But, as kazuya showed, the built in works great, too. Guess I should get busy and learn something here. Working lots of OT right now and taking an online Photoshop Elements class. So, not leaving much time for photography lately.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:40 AM   #25

Hey!

I love the last two shots!

The flash really makes for great detail, but the way they were done doesn't draw your attention to the method that they were shot but the subject matter!

Kazuya & Mtngal I love your flash shots!

Take care,
Glen
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 7:41 AM   #26

Phantom Phish

Here is my attempt of something interesting with a flash. DL on a tripod with the kit lens. F11, .5 seconds, auto built-in flash, mirror lock up. Pretty much right out of the camera, exceptfor some cropping and the addition of the red fish from another shot with the same settings. I added that fish to sort of balance out the composition.

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 5:03 PM   #27

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:
Hello,

Thnkn777, I like your thnkn behind your shot. You got my Thnkn now! If you don't mind, I might try something along that line as well.

In the meantime, here is a "Flash" shot of my older daughter that I took today.

We had fun with this one.

1) Flash unit (Vivitar 285HV) set to manual (1/16th power) fired wirelessly (inside the pot) with a couple of orange filters (from a couple of old Vivitar 2800's I had) over the flash lens to give a different colour.

2) Pentax K100D set to manual exposure at f11 @ 1/125sec.

3) Taken in my bedroom with the shutters closed. f11 knocked out the ambient light.

Take care,
Glen

Hey Glen,
I love this shot! totally awesome.

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2008, 1:51 PM   #28

Hi,
lucky me, yesterday i shot a picture of my cat (with flash)
today i remembered that the monthly challenge is all about flash.
Haven't gone through the other pics so far (last 2-3 months really busy in the office).

bye alex
Attached Images

albreca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:02 PM   #29

Wow, November 29th already, I'm almost out of time........................................

a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2008, 9:19 PM   #30

tacticdesigns wrote:
Quote:

1) Flash unit (Vivitar 285HV) set to manual (1/16th power) fired wirelessly (inside the pot) with a couple of orange filters (from a couple of old Vivitar 2800's I had) over the flash lens to give a different colour.

2) Pentax K100D set to manual exposure at f11 @ 1/125sec.

3) Taken in my bedroom with the shutters closed. f11 knocked out the ambient light.

Take care,
Glen
Flash unit fired wirelessly from inside the pot? You are either a creative genius or have way too much time on your hands, maybe both.That is one beautiful photo of a beautiful child. Two questions:

1. How did you come up with the idea of putting theflash in the pot? I've heard of a flash in the pan, but in the pot....?

2. How did you fire the flash wirelessly with the K100d -are you using those Cactus triggers from Gadget Infinity?

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote