Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:44 AM   #1

Thanks for the votes and to everyone for participating in this forum. It's a great way to learn.

Particular thanks to Harriet for one of her posts some time back when she demonstrated the advantage of getting the flash off the camera and showed some great textures in wood using this method. Lately I have been getting interested in lighting set ups and thought this topic might prompt people to think more about its use:

So the topic is "FLASH".

As usual: "Pictures are to be sized 800 pixels on their longest side, be taken with a Pentax or Samsung dSLR, and be taken within the last 90 days."

Hope this theme meets with general approval?

cheers

bb2

beachboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:48 AM   #2

To kick off. Another bird shot at Roebuck Bay. A migratory Red Knot down from Siberia. Fill flash used as midday bright beach light and shadows from shade covering. Just the pop up flash on the K20D as I was travelling light.

I might change this photo later.

Edit: OK, this photo doesn't count as my entry. See later

bb2

Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2008, 4:35 PM   #3

Hey BB2,
nice capture... both of them.
:G
how did the person holding the bird manage that?
I assume you're taking the pic.
GW:bye:
congrats on last months win.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:02 PM   #4

Good topic! I stuck my flash's owners manual in my camera bag as something to work on at lunch and haven't looked at it for the past two weeks. This will give me motivation to play around with it some more. I really don't understand flash yet.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 1:08 AM   #5

Hi GW

Thanks. The bird netting is organised by experienced people. The hold is as taught. The birds are removed from the (canon propelled) net and placed into small hessian holding cages. Then each bird is measured, weighed, aged (as is happening in the above photo), tagged etc. Some have blood samples taken for disease monitoring. Then each bird is released after an "all clear"check of the skies for Raptors. Speed of the whole process is important so birds are not stressed.

cheers

bb2
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:10 AM   #6

Uhoh... :sad:my weak point... the flash. This is going to hurt .
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:04 PM   #7
daz

The world that she sees.

I am going to change photos.

I think I like this one better. If for no other reason then I work harder on it.

Flash #1: camera left about 4 feet behind and 3 feet above object and 5 feet back. AF540FGZ w/cable manual ¼ power 24mm zoom with a blue gel and a tight snoot. This is close enough to illuminate only some of the area and spill some light on the back ground behind and left of object.

Flash #2: camera right about 1 foot in front 3 above and 3 feet right of object. AF500 w/cable manual ½ power 70mm zoom with red gel and into a 27-inch umbrella.

Camera: K20D 2 feet in front 6 inches above and 6 inches right of object on tripod w/SR off. 31mm 3 seconds f/5.6 200 ISO D-range.

Laser: Camera right 1 ½ feet 1 foot in front and 6 inches above abject. Laser pointer, rubber band to hold button on with holographic star filter rapt in Cinefoil with hole for the light. Cinefoil rapt around handle of a tripod to hold and point laser.

Globe arranged so the reflections from the flashes land on a frosted part. Siberia for flash on the left and North America for the flash on the right. Laser pointed at North America with reflection landing on Mexico.

To get the laser beam used a piece of Cinefoil as a wand. Turned of room lights. Used Cinefoil to block laser. Trigged camera and flashes. Before the shutter closed moved Cinefoil down beam to globe then out of the way so laser could land on globe. Did this as one smooth quick motion.

Full size at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazt/3061616016/ see photo IMGP0013 for setup.

DAZ
Attached Images

daz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 10:38 PM   #8

Hi Daz, Nice shot.

I would encourage people to give details of lighting. It helps us all learn. And you know what happens when we stop learning!!!

cheers

bb2
Old Nov 10, 2008, 9:26 AM   #9

A single Vivitar 285 mounted on a Stroboframe camera flip bracket, using a remote sensor in the camera hotshoe, pointed straight up at a ceiling that was at least 10' up. Camera set on manual, WB set on flash and flash in auto mode. Who says you need fancy dedicated TTL flash units to get decent results, the 285 I use is over 20 years old.

The result is slightly warm but since the wedding dress was an ivory, not bright white, it looked good.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:47 PM   #10

I like that one, Ira. The lighting is soft and the detail in the dress is outstanding!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote