Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:20 PM   #1

Think I'm gonna like it a lot. Comments please!

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:50 PM   #2

Hi Dawg,

Looks very good! I don't know what apertures you used, but the sharpness is good, and it seems to control CA and PF pretty well. I personally choose to use "A" capable lenses only, so this wouldn't be a consideration for me, but it looks like this is a lens that should be considered by those who don't mind not having AE available.

I am curious about things like what aperture was used for these, plus an idea about size and weight and minimum focusing distance -- just for information sake.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 3:59 PM   #3

On a first glance... the color rendition looks nice, bokeh looks good, too. CA (or whatever the color halos are) will give you headaches, but especially judging by the last 2 shots I'd say it looks good.

I am interested in settings, too.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:25 PM   #4

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Dawg,

Looks very good! I don't know what apertures you used, but the sharpness is good, and it seems to control CA and PF pretty well. I personally choose to use "A" capable lenses only, so this wouldn't be a consideration for me, but it looks like this is a lens that should be considered by those who don't mind not having AE available.

I am curious about things like what aperture was used for these, plus an idea about size and weight and minimum focusing distance -- just for information sake.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Scott
Hi Scott. The settings are:
Aperture priority, 300mm(equiv. 450mm), f/5.6, 1/250" (-1EV), ISO 1100 for #1 & #2.
Aperture priority, 300mm(equiv. 450mm), f/5.6, 1/125" (-1.5EV), ISO 100 for #3.
Aperture priority, 300mm(equiv. 450mm), f/5.6, 1/3000" (-1EV), ISO 1100 for#4

Also to be noted these were with my Sigma 1.4 APO teleconverter. #1 is a crop.

Dawg
Old Nov 8, 2008, 5:43 PM   #5

Hello TH...
CA is there but well controlled. That is the most damning thing I found searching info on this lens. Not nearly as much showing up as I thought there would be. It is soft until f/5.6 and gets soft again at around f/16. Not real soft but it is there. It is heavier than my Bigma and is the same length or slightly longer when the bigma is retracted a little shorter when the bigma is extended. No problems hand holding it but a lot of folks would think it too heavy.
They made these with interchangeable lens mounts similar to the adaptalls. I need now to find one that is a K-mount and buy it. I like this one so well I'm now looking for it's 500mm big brother.

Max aperture f/4
& focal length
Elements/300 /5

Groups Filter Length / 4 /95
Length mm Weight /189 /2180

Minimum focus distance 3 meters

Dawg
Old Nov 8, 2008, 6:17 PM   #6

A further note to those interested.

For those of you that own a Vivitar or Lester A. Dine macro lens...you will know what I mean when I say this lens focuses in the same way. Very fine adjustment and well dampened. A true dream as for feel but it does make it a slow focusing lens.

There are no ball detent's on the Aperture ring and it can be adjusted in fine stops. You want a 16th of a stop adjustment? With this lens you can do that. Very well damped and stays where you put it.

By my count there are 32 blades in the aperture ring and they adjust down to a perfect circle. I can sit for hours just watching those blades open and shut. Truly a thing of beauty.

Dawg
Old Nov 8, 2008, 8:41 PM   #7

dude??,
thanks for posting this as i've wondered about them... .
it rivals my 300/4 super tak and probably any others in it's class.. .
the M42 mounts are great because all you have to do is use the cam in Av.. even tho the VF gets dim i have no problem with them...........

roy
robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2008, 10:55 PM   #8

bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

By my count there are 32 blades in the aperture ring and they adjust down to a perfect circle. I can sit for hours just watching those blades open and shut. Truly a thing of beauty.

Dawg

Hey Dawg,
Doesn't take much to entertain you huh?

Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:36 AM   #9

Goldwinger wrote:
Quote:
bigdawg wrote:
Quote:

Dawg

Hey Dawg,
Doesn't take much to entertain you huh?
When the snow on the TV becomes boring I can always drag out my lenses and watch the aperture blades open and close....open and close...open and close...

Or read some of our past posts!!!! :crazy::crazy:

Dawg
Old Nov 9, 2008, 11:41 AM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
dude??,
thanks for posting this as i've wondered about them... .
it rivals my 300/4 super tak and probably any others in it's class.. .
the M42 mounts are great because all you have to do is use the cam in Av.. even tho the VF gets dim i have no problem with them...........

roy
Roy they are some soft at the low and high end but for the money I think they are well worth it. Very well made too but weigh a bit more that the super Tak's. The cost is anywhere from 100 to 50 dollars cheaper though. When you pick one up the feel of the quality is there.

Dawg