Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2008, 9:36 AM   #11

FWIW we use to find them along the beach when I lived in Oregon and I was told that they were floats used by the Japanese fishing fleets for their nets that had broken loose and floated over here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_float

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:33 AM   #12

i really like those, your very brave the rain looks quite heavy, what worries me is water getting between the lense and camera body.

a couple of questions for ya.

the blue globe pic, how did you take that without being in the reflection?

and how are you finding CS4, does it have any features that really stand out? im not sure its worth upgrading from 3 to 4

Dave

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:33 PM   #13

Jon - The weather in the mountains escapes me - I'm actually a bit lower (just under 6,000) though the area around me goes quite a bit higher (Mt. Pinos just to the west of us is over 8,800 and the highest point in Los Padres National Forest). I've seen it pour 10 miles from me but we would not get a drop. Or the time it stayed dry where we were, but they closed I-5 because there was so much snow 25 miles south and a couple of thousand feet below us (I was NOT happy that day as we ended up not going home). I'm glad we didn't have your rain - that does not look like a good situation at all!

I'm actually in the reflection, but the trees behind me are dark and you don't notice me - though if you look close, you can see me fairly clearly (I do blend in with the trees that are behind me and also clearly visible). The water/snow helps to distract you from the reflection, too.

It wasn't really raining - it was sleet and hail with a little snow mixed in. Of course, it melts the minute it hits the camera, so it doesn't totally matter. I was using the K20 with the DA*50-135, which is also weather sealed and has a thin gasket at the lens mount (or at leastI think that's what it is). I've had it out in worse snow before without problems so wasn't particularly worried.

I'm feeling very overwhelmed by all of the computer changes - I'm going from PC/Lightroom/CS2 to Mac/Lightroom2/CS4. I'm finding it a bit hard to figure out some of the features that were probably put in place with CS3, much less sort out what is new in CS4. I find myself doing things the way I've always done them. So far the main conclusion I've come to is that I can't get by with just Lightroom2 - you really need Photoshop to go with it. All of the pictures I processed became quite soft when I used Lightroom's export/reduce option. On the other hand, it's nice to use LR's adjustment tools, then work on a file with the changes applied in Photoshop or Noise Ninja, then switch back to Lightroom for printing or whatever, without having to export and import files.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:41 PM   #14

There were a lot of isolated storm cells with that system, some more severe than others, so local conditions varied widely. Southern California weather is so changeable that some people say if you don't like the weather where you are, just walk across the street (or stay where you are and wait a few minutes)!:lol:

Harriet, if you think changing computers now is hard, just wait a few years and see how well you can adapt to change when you are older !

The pictures are great.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 5:07 AM   #15

Hey mntgal,
the pictures are great and I like them. I just don't care for the bokeh in the "blue globe" shot (#3).

As for software I'll send you a PM.

Regards,
Th.
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 12:01 PM   #16

"I'm going from PC/Lightroom/CS2 to Mac/Lightroom2/CS4. I'm finding it a bit hard to figure out some of the features that were probably put in place with CS3,"

Harriet I think I would have stuck with CS2 to start with and then work up to CS3 or 4 after I got use to the new operating system, although from using both teaching classes, I still find the Mac OS far easier to deal with and far less quirky than Windows.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 12:33 PM   #17

That fickle weather has turned again, and new wind-driven fires are out of control near highly populated areas in the San Fernando Valley - a very dangerous situation. As of 9AM 10,000 people evacuated, 4 freeways closed, major power transmission lines disrupted and others threatened with rolling blackouts expected, ≥ 500 homes destroyed. Aerial tankers are grounded because of the winds. Dense smoke plumes extends for miles. Not good, not good at all.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:01 PM   #18

The fires are definitely scary watching on the news from here in New England. Luckily all of my family in California aren't anywhere near these ones.

Good luck to those in the area.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:22 AM   #19

I'm out of town this weekend, which is probably a good thing. I was quite glad to read that they finally re-opened one of the freeways that had been closed - I have to drive through that area to get to work and there's no easy work-around if it's closed. It is amazing how we can go from snow/hail/sleet one weekend to worrying about brush fires the next.

Tom - I've been reading a book about the Mac system and have discovered all kinds of fun things that are available. I'm not too concerned about really getting into CS4 and all that it can do just yet. I can still always do things the way I always have done.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote