Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 9, 2008, 5:47 PM   #1

Guess I can't be jealous of Rick and his snow pictures.

Here's some pictures I took this morning when I first got up:

It couldn't decide what to do - it hailed, sleeted, snowed and rained. We more or less went from summer directly to winter in 24 hours. Of course, in typical Californian manner, the weather forecast for next week is for 80 plus F (over 26 C).

All pictures taken with the K20 and the DA*50-135 - it was snowing and raining, I was happy to have weather sealing!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:01 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

#'s 2, 3 & 4 are especially nice compositions.Love the details in each of these. Interesting contrast between fruits, flowers and other green fauna along side snow and sleet!

I must admit that I am somewhat hesitant to expose my K20D and the DA* lenses to the elements. It's a nice feeling that they are weather sealed, but I'm not quite ready to test them!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 6:50 PM   #3

Hey Harriet,
it hasn't snowed here yet but, it is supposed to drop to a miserable 49 degrees tonight. :G
I love the wagon wheel!
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 7:03 PM   #4

Nice Harriet. I really like #2, 3, and 4. Interesting that you have the blue ball in California. I had never seen them before I moved here to New England. Having grown up in California!

We haven't seen any snow here yet. Although, it's been cold enough in the past month. Was warm this past week, but it's getting cold again starting today. Time to kick the heat back on.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:00 PM   #5

Patty - is there a significance to the blue ball? It's in a neighbor's yard and the only one I know of.

As you can tell from the last two pictures (and the reason I included them) - I have no trouble venturing out in difficult weather with the K20 and DA*50-135. I took a chance last year with the K10 and had no trouble. I'm not going to try it if it's really pouring, though (I'm not quite that trusting).

Most of the white stuff is gone - it doesn't usually last long and there wasn't that much. It was pretty while it lasted, and I'll think fondly of it if the temperature really does shoot up to 90F on Friday.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 1:20 AM   #6

Brrrrrr , it looks cold, love the wagon wheel shot.
we are expecting 30 degrees Celsius ( 86 Fahrenheit ) this weekend.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 7:41 AM   #7

Well, I did some research on the balls. Took me a while as I didn't know what they were called. Here is a link telling about them as yard globes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yard_globe

They seem to have a lot of names and theories as to what they do. You'd think my living here for 20 years I would have known!

I do know that I never saw them when I lived in California or Georgia. Only here in New England. At least in southern New Hampshire where I live.

You learn something new every day.

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 8:55 AM   #8

Beautiful photos Harriet....But what is that white stuff?:?

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 11:45 PM   #9

Thanks for the information - it made for some interesting reading. Not that I don't have enough now - I'm still looking up Mac stuff, and the student store finally got in the student license CS4 Design Premium disks. So now I have to try to figure out how CS4 on a Mac works compared to CS2 on a PC. And see if by using the Noise Ninja plug-in whether I could get better results than I did using the stand-alone version with just Lightroom 2.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:24 PM   #10

Harriet,

I'm so surprised you had snow there! We didn't in Wrightwood at 6000 ft. What elevation are you at?

Your shots are great. I particularly liked the one with the pink flowers with the snow falling; your shutter speed was perfect! Hard to pick my other favorites, they're all great.

Since we didn't have the snow, we had ALOT of rain. The wash by our house usually lets loose in the first storms of the year, and this one was no different. The results can be seen here. Not photographically good shots, but I'm posting them for interest's sake. Fox News even came out the next day........

The car was orignally stuck in the mud in the road. I walked down and helped the lady out of her car. She didn't want to get out, but I told her that it wasn't safe if more mud came down the wash. As can be seen, there was more and it pushed her car completely off the road. A few years ago it was so bad that a car was carried 1/2 a mile downstream.

Anyway, the snow you had was a much prettier senario.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote