Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:18 AM   #1

A certain NYC photo store with initials in it's name is now selling the K20D body for $789.95-with a $100.00 gift card, free shipping, and a free extended warranty. Either there is a huge inventory problem or a new model is on the near horizon. Any ideas?
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2008, 11:46 AM   #2

Can't answer any of your questions, but there should be a few more folks on this forum with prices like that!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:05 PM   #3

Now $769.95
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:57 PM   #4

The 3 year warranty extension applies to all K20Ds purchased before 12/31/08. When did it begin? There is no information whatsoever on the Pentax website other than a line on the K20D page with the above. So who was/is to know? I queried Pentax and this is what they replied:
Quote:
You had to have purchased your K20D on or after Oct. 12, 2008 to qualify for the free upgrade to a 3 yr. Extended Warranty.
I purchased mine on the 8th.

This is one more example of what - the arrogance of a company that thinks their products are so great that they don't have to advertise or encourage dealers to carry or advertise them for sale if they do stock any? I have ranted about this before - the only people (at least in the US) who know about Pentax DSLRs are those who already own them. With very few exceptions, no one who has not handled one before can find one to try - if they even knew it existed. The only ones who read photo magazines to see the reviews are already invested in a system, so I imagine the price drop is related to slow sales (exacerbated by the economic downturn, of course). If they are planning a replacement, it is a well kept secret. Just look at how many firms - from retail chains to manufacturers have failed in the last few months, and wonder who is next? If you are already invested in a Pentax system and want a K20D, buy one now while you can; if not you might want to wait and see what happens before committing to a new system. :angry:
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5

Too bad they took away the $100.00 gift card-almost made me do it!
DMJJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:17 PM   #6

Very tempting. But, I'm trying to patient with Christmas just around the corner.

I did notice that the Pentax page still shows it out of stock. Really makes me wonder if something else is about to be released and they are clearing out the stock.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:33 PM   #7

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Very tempting.* But, I'm trying to patient with Christmas just around the corner.

I did notice that the Pentax page still shows it out of stock.* Really makes me wonder if something else is about to be released and they are clearing out the stock.

Patty
Interesting - it is out of stock at the Pentax store - but with a note to leave an address for notification when available, so it may not have been discontinued, and their price is still $999; the body + lens kits are still available, too. Perhaps the Pentax Store Holiday Gift package (sling bag, Magic Lantern Guide, 3 yr warranty) has increased demand, or dealer demand for bodies has drawn down their supply. Other dealers may run out, too, so if you want one, perhaps now is the time to get one - the B&H discounted price is $769 with free shipping (note that the price has dropped on the K200D to $599 listed but$499 on checkkout - obviously pre-holiday dealer incentives are available).

The Pentax site also has a revised description with the 3 yr warranty offered for any K20 bought in October, November, or December, with no specific qualifying dates mentioned, and today I received a message from a Pentax representative offering me the 3 yr Warranty without explanation. Perhaps someone there reads these posts - squeaky wheel, and all that - or else they rethought the unannounced details of their offering, or just made a good will response to my inquiry (probably the latter).
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote