Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:14 AM   #11

1600 ISO on the K20D looks very clean. I want to shoot myself on the head for missing the $100 coupon from bhphoto on the K20D that just ended.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:48 PM   #12

Great photos Pen,
the last one reminds me of the time in the late 60's when I talked one of the crewmen into letting me ride in the caboose form Redding to Sacramento Ca. It was winter time, I was freezing cold and I guess he had a hard time saying no. anyway I climbed up in the the top where it was toasty warm from the fire in the wood stove and stretched out and went to sleep. next thing I knew we were in sac.
:-)
GW
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:47 PM   #13

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
1600 ISO on the K20D looks very clean. I want to shoot myself on the head for missing the $100 coupon from bhphoto on the K20D that just ended.
Don't do that - shoot yourself in the mirror! Anyway, the price is even better now.

And yes, 1600 looks very clean.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 10:59 PM   #14

Thanks Harriet and GW.

Harriet, the DA16-45 is a good lens - It was the kit lens offered with the *istD (costlier than the later DA18-55).

Gw, you rode the rails in CA and now you ride a hog in FL. I rode the rails in FL and now ride a roadhog in CA. Go figure.
Old Nov 15, 2008, 3:41 PM   #15

Such nice crisp photos. And, looks like the day was a fun one.

Very tempting to not wait for Christmas. Not even sure it's a thought as a gift from someone, but I do keep giving him updates on the price drops. Is that hint enough?:-) Only problem is when he sees prices start to drop he figures they'll go even lower.

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 3:33 AM   #16

those first 2 are classics, real works of art
i would to see them running
you did well fitting each train into one shot
they really are a couple of nice engines
it must be great tto actually see them up close and have a good look over them

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:22 AM   #17

Thanks Patty and Gumnut.

Patty - be persistent - I don't think there will be any deals better than those available now.

Gumnut, most people play with model trains, but these two engines and several associated cars were originally bought and restored by a private party for his personal backyard "Grizzly Flats Railroad," and eventually donated to the museum. The first engine is an 1881 Baldwin Locomotive Works "Mogul" coal burner built for the Nevada Central Railroad which was acquired by the Union Pacific which operated it until 1938, when it was retired and sold. The second, a wood-burning Baldwin built locomotive, was built in 1917 and used until 1948 to haul sugar cane in Hawaii. The cars with this engine were built by the new owner to haul passengers around on his Grizzly Flats Railroad; those with the first engine are original.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:44 AM   #18

If there are any railroad buffs among you who might be interested, the museum has a web site: http://www.oerm.org