Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2008, 6:47 PM   #11

Great photos! These inspire me to add another place to my Bucket List.

thanks for posting,

Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:56 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for the comments.

jelpee,
Sorry I don't know which mountain that is. I was kinda upset that some of the roads where "closed because of the snow" even though I didn't see any.

mtngal,
Yes this is my first time there. I know I talked about going there about a year ago but never had a chance to go. This trip was unplanned, it as a last minute thing. In away we just cruzed along the park, we didn't do much hiking, only one short trail. I just wanted to get a feel on how the park is so the next time I go back I will be more prepared.

DMJJR,
I used my Pentax K100D. I used many different lens while I was there. I kept switching them out to try out different views. I wish I had another body. First shot was taken with Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 ex dc. The 2nd and 3rd shot was taken with the Sigma 10-20mm. The last shot was taken by my cheapo Sigma 28-200mm lens.

Black Knight,
Yes I cheated on the first image, it is a HDR image from two shots. I took many exposure and grabbed the two that I could use to compile this image. As far as a Polarizer or filter, I don't own any for those lens. I've noticed that the Sigma 18-50mm ex and the 10-20mm does a great job at capturing the deep blue sky without a filter.

a200user,
What is a Bucket list?

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:19 PM   #13

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
This is the first time you've been to the park?!! I just wish I lived closer so I could spend more time in the area. It's one of my most favorite places in the world!

Really love the pictures, they are all very nicely done, from the classic Yosemite views to the more unusual viewpoints (love the log, the lighting was nice with that one).
i agree H!!!!!!
living close by and never go??? i'd be living in the park.. my late wife and stayed there and kings canyon and sequoia for 6 weeks and barely touchedthe surface. i've been to many of our parks and haven't found it's equal.. well, Yellowstone and the Tetons are close.. i especially like the view when you come out the tunnel..WOW..

SK,
you're a bad boy!! get your butt back there and explore.. this is the park that made ansel adams famous..
oh? you need to update your profile..

roy

roy

robar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:40 PM   #14

Your DOF on these is bordering on infinity. Did you close down the aperture as much as possible and use a tripod? A short DOF usually lends to an appealing shot, but your shots really give a superb impression of the immensity of the subject matter. Great shots overall. I especially liked the 2nd one.
PinonMesaJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:01 PM   #15

PinonMesaJon wrote:
Quote:
Your DOF on these is bordering on infinity. Did you close down the aperture as much as possible and use a tripod? A short DOF usually lends to an appealing shot, but your shots really give a superb impression of the immensity of the subject matter. Great shots overall. I especially liked the 2nd one.
The only image that I used a tripod is the first one which I had to in order to get the same shot at different exposure. The other 3 shots where hand held. Yes I did step down the aperture to about f/16-f/20 or so. It was a very sunny day so I was able to pull it off.

ropar,
I live about 2 hours and half away from Yosemite. I didn't brother to go there because I did not have the right car to take me there. I've always driven a beater car that wouldn't make it up the hills. Now I have a better car and believe me, I will go back. It also helps that my uncle opened a Chinese restaurant about 30 minute away from the southern entrance of Yosemite. The price of gas is really cheap right now and I plan to go back during Thanksgiving at least one more time before the year end. I hope it snows by then. Free food, free shelter and cheap gas....I really don't have an excuse not to go again.
:-)

Here are 4 more

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:47 PM   #16

I guess anyone can fill a few memory cards with that kind of scenery, but to get the results you show takes some skill, feel for composition and knowledge in pp. Marvellous pictures SA!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 12:34 AM   #17

I agree with Kjell - two of your pictures were taken in places where I stood and didn't manage even half as good a photo, probably using the same camera.

As far as place names - El Capitan is the cliff face on the left in the first two pictures. I'm not sure what the name of the feature is in the 4th picture, but I don't think its El Capitan. In the second set - Yosemite Falls is the last picture, Half Dome is above it (very distinctive) and the one above that is a bridge that crosses the Merced River. That's one of the places where my pictures weren't half as nice as yours. I'm not sure about the water falls in the first picture of the second set and the third picture of the first set - is that the lower level of the Yellowstone Falls? I didn't think it looked like Bridelveil, but it could be. The last time I was there, Yellowstone Falls only had a trickle going down it - it pretty much dries up in late summer/early fall. The first time I saw it was in very early spring and it was full - an awesome sight!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:39 AM   #18

This is really a superb series. I stand in envy at both the beauty of the subject matter and the quality of the execution. In particular, I'm impressed with the blues in the skies. Very well done.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:21 AM   #19

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
a200user,
What is a Bucket list?
Hi SK

Thanks for the info.

That expression comes from the recent movie of the same name. Its means something that you must must(Want to) do before you die

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2008, 4:10 PM   #20

Lovely. Great compositions, lovely images, beautiful park.

I have taken numerous photos there until we moved away from California. But, none compare to your shots here.

Myroommate and I used to leave work on Friday night and drive up, set up camp in the dark, and have to reset up camp the next morning when we saw what we had done.:-)

Also, have a story of one time up in Kings Canyon back in1980 or so when my now husband and his son and I slept in the car one night because it was going to snow. I hadn't known my husband very long (we were engaged after three weeks) and he woke me up during the night asking me quietly for the car keys in my pocket and don't look out the back window. We were sleeping in the back hatch part of his Mustang. He managed to get up front and start the car just as a bear was about to smash the window. We had one of those sliding lid Igloo ice chests that he was unhappy he couldn't get into and was heading for the car where we had the rest of the food.

We ended up caravaning down the mountainside with the half dozen or so other campers who had been caught in the storm the next day. A very scary trip. Especially when you don't like the road to start with. Those roads weren't designed for Mustangs!

Anyway, sorry for the long stories. Your images just brought back memories of many fond times there. Well, except for one more. The time my husband and I went backpacking for my first time. I was going too slow for him on our trip out after three days and he said "you wait here, I'm going ahead a bit and will be back." I swear that's what he said to me. When he hadn't returned in 30 minutes or so I started hiking outon my own. Luckily I had the maps in my pack because I didn't see him for three hours when I got back to the car. He was just heading back to get me. He said he was wondering what was taking me so long to catch up to him. I should have broken our marriage vows then. Believe me I was tempted. But, he said it was all a misunderstanding. :shock: I should have known then. Oh, well, 26 years later and I'm still with him.:-)

Patty

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote