Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 16, 2008, 4:48 PM   #1

ive been looking at buying a flash (sparked by the monthlychalenge lol) and was wondering if anyone knew if a Samsung SEF-54PZF Flashgun priced at £181 was the same as a Pentax AF 540FGZ TTL Flashgun priced at £262 both on amazon.co.uk

seems a big price differance if its just the badge.

i did see on a site someone said they thought the shoe was different, but they didnt seem to sure.

Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2008, 9:25 PM   #2

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
ive been looking at buying a flash (sparked by the monthlychalenge lol) and was wondering if anyone knew if a Samsung SEF-54PZF Flashgun priced at £181 was the same as a Pentax AF 540FGZ TTL Flashgun priced at £262 both on amazon.co.uk

seems a big price differance if its just the badge.

i did see on a site someone said they thought the shoe was different, but they didnt seem to sure.

Dave
Hey Dave,
I just spent two hours researching the SEF-54PZF and it looks to me to be very close if not an exact copy of my AF-540FGZ. I love my flash but, if I ever get another one and could save the kind of money you can, I'd definitely go with the Samsung!

GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:56 PM   #3

thx for that GW

my only worry is that if theres a difference in the samsungs firmware that maybestops the wireless workin or something, youd think there would pentax usersonline thats tried them, but i cant find anyone anywhere
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:44 PM   #4

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
thx for that GW

my only worry is that if theres a difference in the samsungs firmware that maybestops the wireless workin or something, youd think there would pentax usersonline thats tried them, but i cant find anyone anywhere
Dave,
I don't think there would be any problem with compatibility issues as the Pentax and Samsung are cross compatible in every other accessory. I know the hot shoe is the same.
I just got off the phone with a gentleman at Adorama to see if they had them in stock
(they only have the SEF-36PZF) and he told me they were discontinued. my guess is they weren't promoted enough to let people know they were even available so they didn't sell enough of them to make it profitable to keep making them. all that said, I still think I'd jump on one if I were in the market for another flash.
cheers,
Old Nov 26, 2008, 2:39 PM   #5

well after all that research GWit turns out they have none in stock, but they expect some in 4-5 weeks,which doesnt sound to promisimg, not after what you said about them being discontinued

good news though! mygirlfriendsaysshewill buy me a Pentax AF 360FGZ TTL for christmas, just so long as i promise to flash her when she gives it to me lol
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:50 PM   #6

kazuya wrote:
Quote:
well after all that research GWit turns out they have none in stock, but they expect some in 4-5 weeks,which doesnt sound to promisimg, not after what you said about them being discontinued

good news though! mygirlfriendsaysshewill buy me a Pentax AF 360FGZ TTL for christmas, just so long as i promise to flash her when she gives it to me lol
Sounds like a deal you can't say no to!
Have a merry Christmas my friend,