Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:48 AM   #1

a few shots from my recent holiday
this is the first time I have been outside of Western Australia so it was quite an adventure
this is the suburbs of Perth from the air at midnight

Sunrise over Indonesia

coming into New York

off the plane and straight into NYC, so many tall buildings

so many pedestrians (Broadway)

Central park
we only got to stay in NYC for a short while, We had a 4 hour drive to Maryland ahead of us
there are more photos here http://www.johndolphin.net/photos/ca....php?cat_id=66

more places to follow

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:58 AM   #2

You've certainly made good use of the fish-eye in this set - it seems made for large buildings and big cities. But my favorite is the sunrise picture (I'm not much of a city person).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 11:30 AM   #3

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great pictures of Manhattan with the FE lens! The lighting on the first one of Broadway is my favorite--a hint of the "lights of Brodway" and natural light. I looked at your website--very impressive. Once again, you made good use of the FE lens!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:32 PM   #4

I really like the shadows in your Indo sunrise picture and of course I like to see shots of the city of my birth! Well done!

Glenn
Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:19 PM   #5

thanks for the comments guys

i do like the fisheye, not just the angle it gives (shooting out of the plane window i could see the wing at the front and the back) but also the detail it sems to be able to resolve even if i crop in heaps

it was unfortunate i couldnt explore more of New York, i missed the statue of liberty, the empire state building, but i was whisked into the city straight off the plane (a 16 hour flight zzzzzzzzzzzzz) and i enjoyed what i saw
maybe i can go again another time for longer
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:46 PM   #6

All great shots, I love the fish eye New Yorkers.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:59 PM   #7

Exciting pictures from what must have been an exciting holiday. Maybe not so strange, though, thay you don't go abroad often, living in a country that is a continent. Where I live a Sunday outing may well be abroad. Denmark and Copenhagen is in our commuter train network! :-)

Good use of the fisheye! My favourite is the "Manhattan map", never get that clear pictures myself from the air. Looking forwards to seeing more.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 4:58 PM   #8

Very nice gumnut, hope you have a great time over here! Did you stop in any of the NYC camera shops to pick up gear?

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:52 AM   #9

Very nice, John. You got some amazing photos even though you didn't get to see much. Don't feel bad about not having gotten to see the Statue of Libery or Empire State Building. I live here (4 hours away), have been there twice over the years and yet to see either of those. And, since genealogy is one of my other hobbies, Ellis Island is a biggie on my list. Each time something has happened for me not to get there.

Anyway, some really nice images. Now you have to come back again to see the rest.:-)

Patty
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2008, 9:56 AM   #10

Kjell this is the first time i have even ventured outside my own state, let alone Australia
mind you i have seen a lot of WA, and a fair amount was off road, i once spent a month travelling without leaving the state, its pretty big
but 2 weeks in the US was a much bigger adventure

Tim, with the Aussie dollar falling just as i left the prices in NY were not that enticing, even though they may have been cheaper, and Pentax in Australai wouldnt honour any warrranties as far as i know, but i did look, i always look lol

I have been invited back by the family i stayed with, but next time i may fly straight to DC to cut out the 4 hour drive in both directions

Rodney i think i have got my monies worth out of that fish eye