Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 20, 2008, 6:07 AM   #1

The firstshot is not all that sharp, but I like the colors with the berries. In the second the squirrel seemed to be enjoying himself although probably oblivious to the beauty around him.

Glenn

Lyrics51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2008, 1:16 PM   #2

I like em both G.:-)
GW:bye:
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 8:52 PM   #3

Ditto!! Both good ones.

Dawg
bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 9:14 PM   #4

The first one's composition is very good and both are very colourful.
Rodney9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:08 PM   #5

They look fine on my laptop's monitor, including the first one, better than they had on the monitor at work. I almost didn't see the squirrel in the second one, I was lost in the beautiful autumn leaves.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:14 AM   #6

GW, Rodney, Dawg and Harriet, thanks for looking and posting your comments!

Glenn
Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:37 AM   #7

What ISO were these shot at? I ask because with small birds on limbs that may be moving some... a Higher ISO with attendant higher f/stop and shutter speed give a sharper photo. The higher f/stop also gives a broader DOF so the focus will be sharper over the whole image. I know you know all this Glenn...I did too...but am getting over the possible noise issue and finding my photos sharper at higher ISO's and not as much noise as I once feared. I shoot more in the ISO 800 to 1600 range now than before and my photos seem much improved with the long lens and hand held. I shot mainly landscapes before and used a low ISO to get the clearer (low noise )photos. but with the bird photos and the Longer lens I use for them the Higher ISO's just seem to work better. Anyway..I do like these.

Dawg
Old Nov 21, 2008, 4:25 PM   #8

Dawg, It was shot at ISO 400 with the Sigma DL 100-300 at 300mm. You're right about high ISO. When there is relatively good lighting noise is not necessarily a problem. I wish I would have used 800 or maybe even 1600 because this picture was/is not particularly sharp and I had to sharpen it up a bit and that messed up the background, so then I ran it through Neat Image. The final product isn't too bad, but its not where I would have liked it to be. Then again no one is going to see it but the folks on this forum and they are very forgiving!

Glenn
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:25 PM   #9

Lyrics51 wrote:
Quote:
Dawg, It was shot at ISO 400 with the Sigma DL 100-300 at 300mm. You're right about high ISO. When there is relatively good lighting noise is not necessarily a problem. I wish I would have used 800 or maybe even 1600 because this picture was/is not particularly sharp and I had to sharpen it up a bit and that messed up the background, so then I ran it through Neat Image. The final product isn't too bad, but its not where I would have liked it to be. Then again no one is going to see it but the folks on this forum and they are very forgiving!

Glenn
You are forgiven. I like my 100-300 DL a lot and it is a very good walk around lens. Light weight, compact and pretty good handling the CA. Collapsed it is not that much bigger than the 18-55 kit lens. Together those two weigh almost nothing and are very easy to carry. Either one fits a jacket pocket and are a breeze to change out.

Dawg
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:41 PM   #10

I think the Chickasee pic has a lot of merits, like you say the colours with the berries and the overall composition. Look at the classical photos by Capa et al, often not sharp at all but still masterpieces. The autumn leaves with the almost hidden squirrel is also a good one.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote