Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 25, 2008, 8:54 AM   #11

I'd be interested in your opinion of the M 1.4. I've never been crazy about mine, preferring the M 1.7 instead. I've always wondered if that was a characteristic of the lens type or mine specifically. It's been quite a while since I had both of them out, but it always seemed to me that they were the same after f2 - just that at f1.4, the lens was quite a bit softer, almost unuseable, compared to the other lens at f1.7. I'd be interested in what you find with your copy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 7:55 PM   #12

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'd be interested in your opinion of the M 1.4. I've never been crazy about mine, preferring the M 1.7 instead. I've always wondered if that was a characteristic of the lens type or mine specifically. It's been quite a while since I had both of them out, but it always seemed to me that they were the same after f2 - just that at f1.4, the lens was quite a bit softer, almost unuseable, compared to the other lens at f1.7. I'd be interested in what you find with your copy.
I usually don't do a test shot side by side with the lens that I get. I just take pictures with them, and look at them at a glance at 100%. If it looks good, it is good enough for me.

But at your request, I will do some test shot with my K100D tomorrow since I have the next 3 days off and I won't be doing anything. If I am really board, I will test ALL of my lens.
:?
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2008, 10:33 PM   #13

Every time I try comparison shots, I always forget something and they are never directly comparable. Not to mention slight mistakes on my part (perhaps I was stiller on one shot, or I did a slightly better job focusing on another). And then when I finally get things pretty much right, I come up with inconclusive results. But I really would be interested how you find yours - if you find that it has a sharp spot at f1.4. Mine is soft at f1.4, but stopped down a bit it's fine.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote